'It’s exciting to be a part of this spirit': Keir Starmer becomes centre patron
- Credit: Polly Hancock
Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer has been announced as patron of Highgate Newtown Community Centre (HNCC).
The centre offers activities and support for the community, as well as a foodbank and other services.
Mr Starmer said: “It’s a great pleasure to take on the role of patron at Highgate Newtown Community Centre.
"Since becoming MP for Holborn and St Pancras in 2015, I have been so impressed by the way in which the team here supports, motivates, and brings together its community. No challenge is too great, and it’s exciting to be a part of this spirit.”
HNCC director Andrew Sanalitro said: “I am so very pleased Sir Keir has come on board as we plan for the new build and a range of new services.
“By working as one team, we will achieve a fabulous new centre and the services people really do want for all ages. It's good news for us all.”
You may also want to watch:
Camden Council approved plans for the redevelopment of the centre's Bertram Street site in 2019. It will include a full-size sports hall, climbing wall, treatment space and a rooftop garden.
HNCC chair Robert Aitken said: “On behalf of the board of HNCC I am delighted to welcome Sir Keir Starmer as a patron as we continue to serve our local community through this difficult time.
- 1 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
- 2 Ibiza comes to Kenwood with meditation and music for 'healthy hedonists'
- 3 Porsche driver tries to get car insured on phone when stopped by police
- 4 Golders Green Hippodrome 'chooses love' at interfaith Covid vaccine drive
- 5 Matt Hancock to give evidence at Infected Blood Inquiry
- 6 What do you think of the Regent’s Park and Primrose Hill bins?
- 7 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 8 Tree topples onto neighbour's car after South Hampstead winds
- 9 Swimmers launch legal challenge to charges at Hampstead Heath Ponds
- 10 Home of the week: Charming Victorian home for sale in Stroud Green
“While we have focussed recently on providing crisis support we are looking to the future. We have planned new partnerships with Brookfield Primary School and Channing School to work with us on a number of initiatives for young people and our older residents.
“A major focus is planning the necessary fundraising for fit out of the anticipated building by Camden of a new centre for us in Bertram Street.”