Highgate Green Party councillor Sian Berry enters race to be London Mayor 2016
Highgate councillor Sian Berry has thrown her hat into the ring for the race to be the Green Party’s candidate for the Mayor of London in 2016.
Sian Berry hopes to be selected as the Green’s candidate for the second time, having run in the 2008 mayoral elections.
The Camden councillor said: “London needs a new kind of politics.
“For too long this city has been run for the powerful and privileged, and now it is in crisis thanks to inequality, dirty air and a broken housing system. “The time has come for a new voice in London’s politics – one that stands up for the whole city, not just those at the top.
“Thankfully London is full of communities, movements and campaigns who are building this new kind of politics.
You may also want to watch:
“They need an ally in City Hall, which the Greens can provide to create an open, tolerant city that celebrates diversity.
“When I ran for mayor in 2008, the Green Party had around 1,000 members in London.
- 1 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
- 2 Swimmers launch legal challenge to charges at Hampstead Heath Ponds
- 3 Matt Hancock to give evidence at Infected Blood Inquiry
- 4 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 5 Golders Green Hippodrome 'chooses love' at interfaith Covid vaccine drive
- 6 Home of the week: Charming Victorian home for sale in Stroud Green
- 7 Porsche driver tries to get car insured on phone when stopped by police
- 8 Brent Cross Shopping Centre stabbing victim named
- 9 What do you think of the Regent’s Park and Primrose Hill bins?
- 10 North London teenager sets sights on professional cricket
“This time we have the talent of 10,000 to tap in to. I’m determined that together we give Londoners the big, open, creative and inspiring campaign they deserve.”
Nominations in the Green Party’s selection process for Mayor and London Assembly candidates will open on June 1. The final decision is scheduled to be announced on September 2.