Highgate Fair in the Square balloon blows 440 miles to Netherlands
- Credit: Archant
A helium balloon from Highgate’s Fair in the Square travelled some 440 miles to the Netherlands where it was discovered by a farmer.
The red balloon flew all the way to the village of Follega in the country’s north, onto land belonging to the Schilstra family, who contacted the organisers by email last week.
Balloons with the Fair in the Square logo had lined the high street on the day of the festival, June 15.
Fair spokeswoman Jacquie Richardson said: “We were delighted. It must have escaped on a bid for freedom, because it was not a balloon race.
“They must have been very surprised when the father was mowing the lawn.”
You may also want to watch:
The family has been offered free tickets for a show at Upstairs at the Gatehouse should they visit next year’s fair.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 3 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 4 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 6 Arteta: Arsenal have 'responsibility' to qualify for Europe
- 7 This destruction of a woodland site must be halted
- 8 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 9 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 10 Camden men jailed for rape of teenager targeted by Tube station