Highgate Fair in the Square balloon blows 440 miles to Netherlands
- Credit: Archant
A helium balloon from Highgate’s Fair in the Square travelled some 440 miles to the Netherlands where it was discovered by a farmer.
The red balloon flew all the way to the village of Follega in the country’s north, onto land belonging to the Schilstra family, who contacted the organisers by email last week.
Balloons with the Fair in the Square logo had lined the high street on the day of the festival, June 15.
Fair spokeswoman Jacquie Richardson said: “We were delighted. It must have escaped on a bid for freedom, because it was not a balloon race.
“They must have been very surprised when the father was mowing the lawn.”
You may also want to watch:
The family has been offered free tickets for a show at Upstairs at the Gatehouse should they visit next year’s fair.
- 1 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 2 Man, 26, stabbed in Camden 'fight'
- 3 David Amess murder: Met searches London addresses
- 4 'Heart of the community': Muswell Hill Library celebrates 90 years
- 5 West Hampstead Women's Institute celebrates 10-year milestone
- 6 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 7 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 Gay music hall icon Fred Barnes to be honoured with Maida Vale plaque
- 10 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street