Highgate Fair in the Square balloon blows 440 miles to Netherlands
- Credit: Archant
A helium balloon from Highgate’s Fair in the Square travelled some 440 miles to the Netherlands where it was discovered by a farmer.
The red balloon flew all the way to the village of Follega in the country’s north, onto land belonging to the Schilstra family, who contacted the organisers by email last week.
Balloons with the Fair in the Square logo had lined the high street on the day of the festival, June 15.
Fair spokeswoman Jacquie Richardson said: “We were delighted. It must have escaped on a bid for freedom, because it was not a balloon race.
“They must have been very surprised when the father was mowing the lawn.”
You may also want to watch:
The family has been offered free tickets for a show at Upstairs at the Gatehouse should they visit next year’s fair.
- 1 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 2 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 3 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 4 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 5 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 6 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 7 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 8 Letters: The floods!
- 9 See inside the new superhero kids' clothing store with indoor bike ramps
- 10 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home