Highgate Fair in the Square balloon blows 440 miles to Netherlands
- Credit: Archant
A helium balloon from Highgate’s Fair in the Square travelled some 440 miles to the Netherlands where it was discovered by a farmer.
The red balloon flew all the way to the village of Follega in the country’s north, onto land belonging to the Schilstra family, who contacted the organisers by email last week.
Balloons with the Fair in the Square logo had lined the high street on the day of the festival, June 15.
Fair spokeswoman Jacquie Richardson said: “We were delighted. It must have escaped on a bid for freedom, because it was not a balloon race.
“They must have been very surprised when the father was mowing the lawn.”
You may also want to watch:
The family has been offered free tickets for a show at Upstairs at the Gatehouse should they visit next year’s fair.
- 1 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 2 Maida Vale florist starts weekly subscription to brighten lockdown
- 3 All Camden care home residents given Covid jab
- 4 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 5 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 6 'People are scared to come out', say Hampstead coffee shops
- 7 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs
- 8 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 9 Arsenal agree to terminate contract of defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos
- 10 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab