Highgate dads in cheese-shaped kart rev up ahead of Alexandra Palace race
- Credit: Archant
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it’s a group of men dressed as mice hurtling downhill in a piece of cheese.
A team of intrepid Highgate biker dads are getting over their mid-life crises by preparing to hurtle downhill at 40mph in a cheese-shaped kart in this summer’s Redbull Soapbox Race at Alexandra Palace.
Team member Gavin Conway – who along with Adam Kay and Phillip Marshall will be dressed as mice whilst six foot three inch tall bearded Frenchman Lodovic Robert will appear as the famer’s wife – said: “We’re very, very mature.”
Inspired by the three blind mice story, Gavin explained how cheese was a perfect choice for a racing vehicle with it being aerodynamic and fitting in with the group’s expertise in “cheesey” dad jokes.
Outlining their motivation, Gavin said: “We were looking for a thrill and a bit of speed. Our children also love the idea.”
You may also want to watch:
Now being built in time for the timed race in July, Gavin and his team have been working late into the night over the past two months on their brie-liant machine at Adam’s workshop in Finchley Road.
Judged on creativity, an opening performance and race result, the four have one goal: “We’ll make it down. Whether we’ll be the fastest I don’t know, but we’re going to have fun doing it,” Gavin said.
- 1 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 2 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 3 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 4 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 5 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 6 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 7 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead
- 8 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 9 Heroic walker who raised thousands for charity dies aged 101
- 10 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate