Highgate father completing 10km runs in every country for cancer charity
- Credit: Archant
Highgate’s Dan Thompson has set himself a monumental challenge: to run 10k in every country in the world, fundraising for Cancer Research UK.
“There’s this amazing wonderdrug called exercise,” Dan said. “We may be in a difficult situation economically, but here’s something we can all do - you don’t have to be a fitness fanatic. Lifestyle has such a big impact on cancer rates.”
Dan’s mother passed away due to cancer in 2013, part of his reason for undertaking the challenge.
He has lived in Highgate for over a decade with his wife, a councillor, and children. But in the last three years he has run in 131 countries, starting in Norway. He has 75 to go.
He’s headed to seven countries in West Africa this January, and finishes the challenge in 2020 in Tokyo, in time for the Olympic Games.
You may also want to watch:
The UK 10k will be on Hampstead Heath in 2020.
“I want to see everyone there!” he said.
- 1 Arrests made after reports of antisemitic abuse in St John's Wood
- 2 Burger King launches its first 'dark kitchen' for north London deliveries
- 3 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 4 Residents bid farewell to Highgate Station’s beloved black cat
- 5 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 6 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 7 Tottenham Women seal extra time win over Sheffield United
- 8 Zookeeper's sponsored swim as London Zoo reopens indoor areas
- 9 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 10 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote