Highgate father completing 10km runs in every country for cancer charity
- Credit: Archant
Highgate’s Dan Thompson has set himself a monumental challenge: to run 10k in every country in the world, fundraising for Cancer Research UK.
“There’s this amazing wonderdrug called exercise,” Dan said. “We may be in a difficult situation economically, but here’s something we can all do - you don’t have to be a fitness fanatic. Lifestyle has such a big impact on cancer rates.”
Dan’s mother passed away due to cancer in 2013, part of his reason for undertaking the challenge.
He has lived in Highgate for over a decade with his wife, a councillor, and children. But in the last three years he has run in 131 countries, starting in Norway. He has 75 to go.
He’s headed to seven countries in West Africa this January, and finishes the challenge in 2020 in Tokyo, in time for the Olympic Games.
You may also want to watch:
The UK 10k will be on Hampstead Heath in 2020.
“I want to see everyone there!” he said.
- 1 Two teenagers stabbed in Kilburn and South Hampstead in separate attacks
- 2 Leila Roy tributes: 'We will miss her energy and her big heart'
- 3 WATCH: Hampstead 8-year-old teaches history to audience of thousands
- 4 Patients being treated in hospital for Covid falls by a quarter
- 5 Camden disabled resident on fears over Haverstock Hill cycle lanes
- 6 'Real disappointment' over uptake of Covid vaccine among care home staff
- 7 Remembering 'positive, caring and kind' Hornsey pupil Amy
- 8 Highgate band take music on the road for an 'impossible tour'
- 9 Call to remember John Le Carré during Hampstead Heath celebrations
- 10 Joe Montemurro full of praise for Jordan Nobbs following Arsenal's win over Aston Villa