Highgate father completing 10km runs in every country for cancer charity
- Credit: Archant
Highgate’s Dan Thompson has set himself a monumental challenge: to run 10k in every country in the world, fundraising for Cancer Research UK.
“There’s this amazing wonderdrug called exercise,” Dan said. “We may be in a difficult situation economically, but here’s something we can all do - you don’t have to be a fitness fanatic. Lifestyle has such a big impact on cancer rates.”
Dan’s mother passed away due to cancer in 2013, part of his reason for undertaking the challenge.
He has lived in Highgate for over a decade with his wife, a councillor, and children. But in the last three years he has run in 131 countries, starting in Norway. He has 75 to go.
He’s headed to seven countries in West Africa this January, and finishes the challenge in 2020 in Tokyo, in time for the Olympic Games.
You may also want to watch:
The UK 10k will be on Hampstead Heath in 2020.
“I want to see everyone there!” he said.
- 1 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 Police mourn 'devoted' Camden constable who died from Covid
- 4 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 5 HS2 tunnel protesters evicted in 'siege' outside Euston Station
- 6 We must take the vaccine to protect the BAME community
- 7 Arsenal face a crucial week as they bid to start pushing on
- 8 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 9 Future of Royal Free Hospital nurseries uncertain amid staff consultation
- 10 Keeping your distance: Hampstead joggers and creperie crowds