Highgate father completing 10km runs in every country for cancer charity
- Credit: Archant
Highgate’s Dan Thompson has set himself a monumental challenge: to run 10k in every country in the world, fundraising for Cancer Research UK.
“There’s this amazing wonderdrug called exercise,” Dan said. “We may be in a difficult situation economically, but here’s something we can all do - you don’t have to be a fitness fanatic. Lifestyle has such a big impact on cancer rates.”
Dan’s mother passed away due to cancer in 2013, part of his reason for undertaking the challenge.
He has lived in Highgate for over a decade with his wife, a councillor, and children. But in the last three years he has run in 131 countries, starting in Norway. He has 75 to go.
He’s headed to seven countries in West Africa this January, and finishes the challenge in 2020 in Tokyo, in time for the Olympic Games.
You may also want to watch:
The UK 10k will be on Hampstead Heath in 2020.
“I want to see everyone there!” he said.
- 1 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 2 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 3 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 4 'It's devastating': Golders Green mother speaks out about rare genetic disease
- 5 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 6 Theatre review: Crouch End and Upminster collide in modern love story
- 7 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 8 Old Hampstead police station sold by Department for Education at £4m loss
- 9 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath
- 10 Man left with £1,200 vet bill after puppy 'mauled' on Hampstead Heath