‘Incredible’ Highgate response to Covid-19 fundraiser for Haringey Giving
- Credit: Archant
A Covid-19 fundraiser to support vulnerable residents in Haringey has received an “overwhelming” community response.
Since it was launched a fortnight ago Highgate Gives has raised more than £3,000 for Haringey Giving - a charity partnership funding community projects during the pandemic.
The fundraiser was set up by Highgate councillor Liz Morris and Claire Norton, who founded Highgate N6 Mutual Aid.
Cllr Morris (Liberal Democrat) said: “We are so aware of how fortunate many of us in the Highgate area are and that sadly there are many people, only a few miles from our doorsteps here in Highgate who are suffering great hardship during this Covid-19 crisis.
“The pressure on local community organisations is enormous so we wanted to galvanise the community in Highgate to help the wider area.”
You may also want to watch:
Claire said she had been “overwhelmed” by Highgate’s “incredible” response, with one generous donation coming in at £800.
She said: “Every penny counts and we are so grateful to everyone who has donated.
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 3 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 4 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 5 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 6 Slavia Prague v Arsenal: Five Things We Learned
- 7 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 8 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 9 Myanmar ambassador pleads for help from Hampstead doorstep
- 10 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
“We are hoping to raise £5k to help these projects, although we would be thrilled if we could raise much more.
“This is a community effort and we want to thank everyone who has donated so far and all those who go on to donate.”
Through its borough-wide Covid-19 appeal Haringey Giving has so far raised £186,000.
These donations have funded community initiatives during the pandemic including projects that support food banks, the elderly and local schools.
Colin Bowen, the director of Haringey Giving, said the new branch of support from Highgate would support residents most in need.
“Covid-19 has had a huge, huge impact on the most vulnerable people and communities across the Haringey and it has particularly affected people who already were experiencing hardship, disadvantage and inequality,” Colin said.
“There are so many challenges our most vulnerable people are facing right now, not only for vital food and provisions, but also around mental health, employability, educational attainment, homelessness, isolation and digital exclusion, to name a few.
“This winter promises to be one of the toughest in living memory and your support really will change people’s lives and help them get through this challenging time.”
To donate to Highgate Gives click here.