Highgate public school favoured by celeb mums bids to build temporary sports hall
- Credit: Archant
An independent school popular among celebrity mothers has submitted two planning applications to build an extension with a grass roof and a temporary sports hall.
Channing School, in Highgate High Street, Highgate, wants to erect a single-storey extension at the front of the building to house a new entrance lobby and office, according to plans published on Camden Council’s website.
The extension would feature an eco-friendly “green roof” made of real grass, while iron railings would be relocated.
In April Highgate resident and singer Myleene Klass joined Sally Gunnell to launch a £3million fundraising bid to pay for the new sports hall and performing arts centre at the all-girls school.
The new facilities, which sit on the Haringey side of the site and will cost around £11million, were approved last year.
You may also want to watch:
While construction takes place, a second separate application submitted to Camden Council outlines proposals for a temporary sports hall and changing facilities.
The building would be located on the junior school tennis courts within the school grounds and would also be used for exams.
- 1 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 HS2 tunnel protesters evicted in 'siege' outside Euston Station
- 4 Camden Council 'considers' bringing leisure centres in-house post-Covid
- 5 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 6 Police mourn 'devoted' Camden constable who died from Covid
- 7 Keeping your distance: Hampstead joggers and creperie crowds
- 8 We must take the vaccine to protect the BAME community
- 9 Archway stabbing: 16-year-old arrested on suspicion of murder
- 10 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
The school says it needs to build a temporary site while the new facilities are constructed.
If planning permission is approved, the temporary hall will be erected in August.