Highgate public school favoured by celeb mums bids to build temporary sports hall
- Credit: Archant
An independent school popular among celebrity mothers has submitted two planning applications to build an extension with a grass roof and a temporary sports hall.
Channing School, in Highgate High Street, Highgate, wants to erect a single-storey extension at the front of the building to house a new entrance lobby and office, according to plans published on Camden Council’s website.
The extension would feature an eco-friendly “green roof” made of real grass, while iron railings would be relocated.
In April Highgate resident and singer Myleene Klass joined Sally Gunnell to launch a £3million fundraising bid to pay for the new sports hall and performing arts centre at the all-girls school.
The new facilities, which sit on the Haringey side of the site and will cost around £11million, were approved last year.
You may also want to watch:
While construction takes place, a second separate application submitted to Camden Council outlines proposals for a temporary sports hall and changing facilities.
The building would be located on the junior school tennis courts within the school grounds and would also be used for exams.
- 1 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 2 'We've been forgotten': Homeless Muswell Hill family demand action
- 3 ‘I was livid': Outrage as Camden homeless man sprayed with hose
- 4 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 5 Mayor of Camden joins West Hampstead Primary School renaming fair
- 6 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 7 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 8 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 9 Crunch! Eliana and Ariella's granola business success
- 10 New Jewish Fringe festival comes to Golders Green
The school says it needs to build a temporary site while the new facilities are constructed.
If planning permission is approved, the temporary hall will be erected in August.