Highgate public school favoured by celeb mums bids to build temporary sports hall
- Credit: Archant
An independent school popular among celebrity mothers has submitted two planning applications to build an extension with a grass roof and a temporary sports hall.
Channing School, in Highgate High Street, Highgate, wants to erect a single-storey extension at the front of the building to house a new entrance lobby and office, according to plans published on Camden Council’s website.
The extension would feature an eco-friendly “green roof” made of real grass, while iron railings would be relocated.
In April Highgate resident and singer Myleene Klass joined Sally Gunnell to launch a £3million fundraising bid to pay for the new sports hall and performing arts centre at the all-girls school.
The new facilities, which sit on the Haringey side of the site and will cost around £11million, were approved last year.
You may also want to watch:
While construction takes place, a second separate application submitted to Camden Council outlines proposals for a temporary sports hall and changing facilities.
The building would be located on the junior school tennis courts within the school grounds and would also be used for exams.
- 1 Burger King launches its first 'dark kitchen' for north London deliveries
- 2 The Magdala returns as pubs and restaurants reopen indoors on May 17
- 3 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 4 Residents bid farewell to Highgate Station’s beloved black cat
- 5 Barnet councillor leaves Tory group over 'personal matter'
- 6 Arrests made after reports of antisemitic abuse in St John's Wood
- 7 Bailed: Men arrested in connection with antisemitic abuse in St John's Wood
- 8 'No one cares': Mother claims 'horrible' leaks and mould left ignored
- 9 Zookeeper's sponsored swim as London Zoo reopens indoor areas
- 10 Huge summer window awaits Daniel Levy at Tottenham Hotspur
The school says it needs to build a temporary site while the new facilities are constructed.
If planning permission is approved, the temporary hall will be erected in August.