HIGHGATE BY-ELECTION: New Green councillor vows to fight for constituents
HIGHGATE'S new Green Party councillor is looking forward to his new role on Camden Council. Alex Goodman, a 20-year-old planning and human rights barrister, who lives on the Whiitington Estate won the election with by more than 290 votes
HIGHGATE'S new Green Party councillor is looking forward to his new role on Camden Council.
Alex Goodman, a 30-year-old planning and human rights barrister, who lives on the Whiitington Estate won the election with by more than 290 votes from his nearest challenger, the Labour Party's Michael Nicolaides.
Cllr Goodman said: "I feel there's a lot I want to do and there's a lot of hard work ahead. But I'm delighted to be in a position to be able to do things which are good for the area and people in Camden as a whole.
"I have said to people throughout the campaign that I'm only the third green councillor, so we'll be in opposition. We can't change the way the council is run, but what we can do is work against cuts in public services, stand up for the community and work on behalf of constituents."
You may also want to watch:
Green councillor Adrian Oliver said:“I’m absolutely delighted with the result. Alex will be able to bring his passion, commitment, and considerable expertise in the law to Camden. He is very well-suited to represent the area and help individual residents.
“We hope it is a good sign for the rest of London there seems to be recognition of the Green campaign, particularly Sian in the mayoral campaign.”
- 1 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 2 Man, 26, stabbed in Camden 'fight'
- 3 David Amess murder: Met searches London addresses
- 4 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 5 'Heart of the community': Muswell Hill Library celebrates 90 years
- 6 West Hampstead Women's Institute celebrates 10-year milestone
- 7 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 10 Gay music hall icon Fred Barnes to be honoured with Maida Vale plaque
Alex Goodman, Green: 1,482 votes
Michael Nicolaides, Labour: 1,185 votes
Richard Merrin, Conservative: 1,180 votes
Henry Potts, Liberal Democrat: 633 votes.
23 spoilt ballots.
Turn out was 56.17 per cent, which is 8.17 per cent up on last time round.