Highgate by-election is a fight between Greens and Conservatives
Much of the political coverage in recent Ham & High s has understandably concentrated on the GLA and Mayoral elections. While these are clearly very significant, also of great relevance to the voters of Highgate is the by-election for Camden Council on th
Much of the political coverage in recent Ham & High's has understandably concentrated on the GLA and Mayoral elections. While these are clearly very significant, also of great relevance to the voters of Highgate is the by-election for Camden Council on the same day.
The issues are different to those in the London-wide poll. The overall control of the Council cannot change, and the question is simply who will best represent the voters of Highgate. With the Lib Dems on less than 10% at the last local elections in Highgate, and Labour a distant third, the choice is clearly between the Green Party and the Conservatives.
For the past two years, the area has had two hard-working and effective Green Party councillors. It has also had an invisible Tory councillor, who barely spoke at the Council before his resignation, and was asked to stand down as school governor for non-attendance.
Whatever their voting intentions in the London-wide elections, I trust that voters in Highgate will recognise the effective work that the existing Green Party councillors do and add to their number. Those who do not vote for the Green Party may simply reward one of the most ineffective councillors Highgate has ever had the misfortune to see by letting in one of his Conservative colleagues.
You may also want to watch:
Coordinator, Camden Green Party
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 3 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 4 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 5 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 6 Slavia Prague v Arsenal: Five Things We Learned
- 7 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 8 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
- 9 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 10 Myanmar ambassador pleads for help from Hampstead doorstep