Highgate businesses suffer after power cut
Highgate was plunged into darkness on Monday (Oct 24) after it experienced a power cut.
Power went off at 4am affecting dozens of businesses.
Traders had to work in candlelight until it was fixed at 5pm.
Daniel Watkins, who works in the popular newsagents Brooksby, in Highgate High Street, said: “It was a tough day. All the businesses & properties on the Camden side lost their power and it goes to show how heavily we rely on our computer system to operate.
“We lost a lot of custom, we think many people didn’t come in because they thought we were closed.
You may also want to watch:
“We printed our newspaper delivery bills over the weekend and a lot of our customers come in on the Monday to pay via card so we definitely lost out.”
A spokesman for UK Power Networks apologised for the inconvenience caused to residents and businesses.
- 1 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 2 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs
- 3 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 4 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 5 'People are scared to come out', say Hampstead coffee shops
- 6 Kentish Town café fundraises to keep community spirit alive
- 7 Free Nazanin: Calls for clarity as West Hampstead mum's sentence draws to a close
- 8 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 9 Hampstead's Karma Bread thanks Royal Free staff with baked goods
- 10 Hampstead families aim to raise £50,000 to feed Royal Free medics
He said: “UK Power Networks engineers worked as quickly and as safely possible to restore power to 61 customers in the High Street area of Highgate following a power interruption.
“A fault on the low voltage network first occurred on Sunday (Sunday) afternoon. Power was quickly restored to affected customers, but there was a further interruption at 4.31am this morning, affecting 61 customers.
“We appreciate how frustrating it is to be without power and apologise for the inconvenience caused.”