High hopes for creation of an important green space
To those who might have visited the town hall executive meeting last Wednesday evening hoping to learn the outcome of the town green idea for Talacre Gardens (Town green would restore trust, H&H letters, June 26), they could be forgiven for thinking it wa
To those who might have visited the town hall executive meeting last Wednesday evening hoping to learn the outcome of the town green idea for Talacre Gardens (Town green would restore trust, H&H letters, June 26), they could be forgiven for thinking it was unacceptable.
However, at the 11th hour, the coalition produced a response that could restore local trust in the council at Haverstock ward.
We knew our local councillors and others had been lobbying for the proposal.
After an eloquent and passionate speech by Cllr Matt Sanders on the topic, a lengthy debate followed. It led to a formula for progress which has greatly encouraged activists to believe that by the autumn the town green could be a reality.
If it is achieved, as expected, it will be a landmark decision confirming that Camden Council is doing more than listening to community pleas.
In the scale of human endeavour, registering Talacre Gardens as a town green may not loom large. But for this gritty and often troubled corner of the borough, if confirmed, it would represent more than a symbol of renewed interest in the welfare of Haverstock.
- 1 Calls to make road in front of a Highgate school safer
- 2 Barnet leader pledges council tax rebate and an end to outsourcing
- 3 Positives for Arsenal despite missing top four
- 4 Parliament Hill flower shop comes to pupils' rescue
- 5 Camden teacher's cycle ride to find a cure for daughter's 'sleeping beauty' syndrome
- 6 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 7 Harry Hill's Tony Blair rock opera premieres at Park Theatre
- 8 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 9 Nazanin was 'forced' to sign false confession by Iran
- 10 Walking book club: Hampstead Heath, Death and The Penguin
We are grateful to the coalition for showing concern that this very frugal measure could possibly be realised soon by the registration authority - Camden itself.
Friends of Talacre Gardens