High hopes for creation of an important green space
To those who might have visited the town hall executive meeting last Wednesday evening hoping to learn the outcome of the town green idea for Talacre Gardens (Town green would restore trust, H&H letters, June 26), they could be forgiven for thinking it wa
To those who might have visited the town hall executive meeting last Wednesday evening hoping to learn the outcome of the town green idea for Talacre Gardens (Town green would restore trust, H&H letters, June 26), they could be forgiven for thinking it was unacceptable.
However, at the 11th hour, the coalition produced a response that could restore local trust in the council at Haverstock ward.
We knew our local councillors and others had been lobbying for the proposal.
After an eloquent and passionate speech by Cllr Matt Sanders on the topic, a lengthy debate followed. It led to a formula for progress which has greatly encouraged activists to believe that by the autumn the town green could be a reality.
You may also want to watch:
If it is achieved, as expected, it will be a landmark decision confirming that Camden Council is doing more than listening to community pleas.
In the scale of human endeavour, registering Talacre Gardens as a town green may not loom large. But for this gritty and often troubled corner of the borough, if confirmed, it would represent more than a symbol of renewed interest in the welfare of Haverstock.
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes set for approval by Camden Council – again
- 3 Call for answers after flood 'destroyed parents' love letters and vinyl records'
- 4 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 5 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 6 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 7 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
- 8 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 9 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 10 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
We are grateful to the coalition for showing concern that this very frugal measure could possibly be realised soon by the registration authority - Camden itself.
Friends of Talacre Gardens