High hopes for creation of an important green space
To those who might have visited the town hall executive meeting last Wednesday evening hoping to learn the outcome of the town green idea for Talacre Gardens (Town green would restore trust, H&H letters, June 26), they could be forgiven for thinking it wa
To those who might have visited the town hall executive meeting last Wednesday evening hoping to learn the outcome of the town green idea for Talacre Gardens (Town green would restore trust, H&H letters, June 26), they could be forgiven for thinking it was unacceptable.
However, at the 11th hour, the coalition produced a response that could restore local trust in the council at Haverstock ward.
We knew our local councillors and others had been lobbying for the proposal.
After an eloquent and passionate speech by Cllr Matt Sanders on the topic, a lengthy debate followed. It led to a formula for progress which has greatly encouraged activists to believe that by the autumn the town green could be a reality.
You may also want to watch:
If it is achieved, as expected, it will be a landmark decision confirming that Camden Council is doing more than listening to community pleas.
In the scale of human endeavour, registering Talacre Gardens as a town green may not loom large. But for this gritty and often troubled corner of the borough, if confirmed, it would represent more than a symbol of renewed interest in the welfare of Haverstock.
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 Column: Major changes expected at Tottenham in the summer?
- 3 Optimism as Crouch End and Muswell Hill shops, bars and cafes reopen
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Mary Feilding Guild: Warning of severe health impact on elderly residents
- 6 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 7 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 8 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 9 For sale: Edwardian home in East Finchley with south-facing garden
- 10 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
We are grateful to the coalition for showing concern that this very frugal measure could possibly be realised soon by the registration authority - Camden itself.
Friends of Talacre Gardens