Heroic efforts fail to save woman in flat fire tragedy
THE efforts of a heroic neighbour could not prevent the death of a Hornsey woman when fire tore through her flat. Susan Elliott, 64, who uses a wheelchair, was trapped in her fourth floor home when the blaze started in the early hours of Thursday. Her nei
THE efforts of a heroic neighbour could not prevent the death of a Hornsey woman when fire tore through her flat.
Susan Elliott, 64, who uses a wheelchair, was trapped in her fourth floor home when the blaze started in the early hours of Thursday.
Her neighbour, awoken by the fire, broke down the door and dragged her out of the flat but she later died in hospital. The man, who has not been named, is still in hospital suffering from smoke inhalation and burns.
Although the building has been declared "safe for current occupiers" by both the management team, St James' Homes, and the fire service, neighbours in the five-month-old development have raised concerns.
You may also want to watch:
Daniella Scott said: "I could see from my bedroom window that the flat was engulfed. It looked like it had been burning for ages and I could hear shouting and screaming from inside."
Jennifer Puleio, who lives downstairs said: "The alarm just didn't work. I was woken by shouts from below and told to get out of my house. I looked out the window and saw people telling me to get out quick."
- 1 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 4 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 5 Jailed: Man who murdered friend Jack Ampadu in Kentish Town
- 6 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 7 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 8 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
Another resident, Nulya Nalbant, from the adjacent Newland Estate, claimed although firefighters arrived quickly, they couldn't find the main water valve. Her husband Bayram Cam used his ladder to help evacuate panicked residents before lending it to firefighters so they could get across to the flat.
Developer St James Homes said: "We are very sad to hear of the death of a resident following a fire at New River Village. We would like to offer our sympathy to the family.
"The fire brigade has confirmed that the fire safety systems in the building, designed in accordance with building regulations, functioned successfully. We are awaiting a full report on the cause of the incident from the Fire Brigade.