Henrietta Barnett registers academy interest
THE Henrietta Barnett School is deciding whether or not to become an Academy and opt out of local authority control. The selective girls grammar has registered an interest with the Department for Education. Jo Velleman, development director at the scho
THE Henrietta Barnett School is deciding whether or not to become an Academy and opt out of local authority control.
The selective girls' grammar has "registered an interest" with the Department for Education. Jo Velleman, development director at the school, stressed that it had not applied to be fast-tracked under the new Academies Bill.
She said: "The Henrietta Barnett School, along with many other schools, has registered interest in applying for academy status, in order to receive the appropriate paperwork, to enable the governors to investigate the matter further and take a decision on what is in the best long term interests of the school.
"The school is not applying through the fast track system, despite being qualified to do so as an outstanding school but anticipates that the decision on whether or not to apply will take some months."
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, UCL and the Swiss Cottage Specialist School are still waiting to hear from the government whether or not they will receive the funding to go ahead with the new academy and specialist school in Adelaide Road.
Rosemary Leeke, headteacher of South Camden Community School has written to Mr Gove arguing why the school desperately needs to be refurbished. In her letter, she warned that the school is due to expand by 60 places a year and there will not be space for the children unless the re-build goes-ahead.
- 1 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 2 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 3 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 4 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 5 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 6 The Outsider: Residents take aim at plans for high street pub
- 7 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 8 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 9 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 10 Flick Rea: Community celebrates 'Empress of West Hampstead'