Helena Bonham Carter dazzles as fellow Barnet-born actress Elizabeth Taylor
- Credit: BBC/Gustavo Papaleo
Helena Bonham Carter and Elizabeth Taylor grew up just streets apart, albeit a few decades apart.
So it was fitting that one should play the other in a BBC television drama broadcast this week.
On Monday, Burton and Taylor – a biopic exploring the tempestuous relationship between twice-married Hollywood stars Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor – aired on BBC Four.
Ms Bonham Carter turned in a stunning performance as Ms Taylor, who was born at 8 Wildwood Road in Hampstead Garden Suburb in 1932 and passed away in Los Angeles, USA, in 2011.
As a child, the late Oscar winner walked the same streets as Ms Bonham Carter, who grew up in Golders Green and attended South Hampstead High School.
You may also want to watch:
Now 47, Ms Bonham Carter is around the same age as Ms Taylor was during the period in which the biopic is set, in 1983.
But the same cannot be said for Ms Bonham Carter’s co-star Dominic West, who has been accused of not looking old enough in his role as legendary Welsh actor Richard Burton.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 3 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 4 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 5 New Belsize restaurant Cinder enjoys busy opening after lockdown delays
- 6 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 7 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 8 'Peace and Quiet' of Muswell Hill in band's new video
- 9 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 10 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
Burton died suddenly from a brain haemorrhage, aged 58, in 1984 – just a year after Burton and Taylor is set – following years of alcohol addiction.
Burton and Taylor is available to watch on BBC iPlayer until August 2.