Dartmouth Park teenagers taken to hospital after eating ‘what they believed to be sweets’
PUBLISHED: 15:12 05 October 2020 | UPDATED: 19:52 05 October 2020
Thirteen pupils from La Sainte Union Catholic School were taken to hospital this morning after eating “edible gummies”.
The pupils had eaten “what they believed to be sweets”, the emergency services said, and the Ham&High understands more pupils have reported feeling unwell.
Symptoms are said to include sleepiness and high heart-rate.
On Monday evening the Met Police confirmed officers believed the sweets contained Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). THC is a compound found in cannabis.
Two ambulance crews were treating more unwell pupils as school ended for the day at 3.30, with police also present.
Pupils told this newspaper “edible gummies” had been behind the “alarming incident”.
In a statement on the Camden Police Twitter account, the Met said: “We understand the sweets contained THC. We await tests to establish the quantity of THC in each sweet. While we await a full update from hospital, nobody is seriously unwell. There has been no arrest; enquiries continue.”
The London Ambulance Service and Met Police were called at about 11.45am to reports of an incident at the Highgate Road school, opposite Hampstead Heath.
You may also want to watch:
A clinical team leader, five ambulance crews, medics in cars and incident response officers assessed 13 teenagers and took them to hospital.
Police said the children had eaten “what they believed to be sweets” and were “feeling unwell”, but no-one is believed to be seriously affected.
A spokesperson for the police stressed that the school has not been evacuated.
This afternoon a paramedic on the scene told this newspaper that “more casualties” were being treated after falling ill.
Enquiries are underway to establish what happened, and no-one has been arrested.
A spokesperson for La Sainte Union said: “A small number of our students have been taken to hospital today after becoming ill.
“The students became ill after eating what they believed were sweets. The contents of what the students ate and how they came into possession of them is being investigated by the police. We have made parents aware of this incident.”
Cllr Sian Berry (Green, Highgate) is one of the ward councillors for the area. She said: “Until we know what is happening and how seriously the children are hurt, it’s hard to be anything other than really worried and concerned.”
Cllr Angela Mason, Camden Council’s education chief said: “Our immediate concern in these circumstances is for the pupils – and we hope they feel better very soon. We are working closely with the school to support them at this time.”
If you have been impacted by this incident, contact Sam on the newsdesk on 07785616237 or Sam.Volpe@Archant.co.uk
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ham&High. Click the link in the orange box above for details.