Singing group for people with dementia launching tomorrow
- Credit: Archant
A singing group for people affected by dementia is launching at Alexandra Palace tomorrow (Friday).
Singing for the Brain is a programme developed by Alzheimer’s Society for people with memory
problems. The charity is encouraging anyone affected by dementia, and living in Haringey, to join the group.
The class kicks off with a taster session at the iconic venue and will include performances from local musicians living with dementia. Hornsey and Wood Green MP, Catherine West, will also be attending.
David Tims, a local musician working with Alzheimer’s Society said: “I love to see how singing can support people with dementia to communicate better, improving their mood and leaving them feeling happy.
You may also want to watch:
“Whether you’re living with the condition or caring for someone who is, we‘d love
to welcome you to our group. It doesn’t matter if you haven’t sung in a choir - we don’t require participants to read music or audition, we just want people to enjoy themselves!”
- 1 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 2 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 3 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 4 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 5 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 6 Camden man charged with prostitution offences and sexual exploitation
- 7 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 8 Royal Mail delays in Hornsey 'could see Covid-19 vaccination letters missed'
- 9 Ice cream shop supporting freelancers opens in Primose Hill
- 10 One in ten people without symptoms Covid positive at Haringey centres
There are over 1,600 people living with dementia in Haringey.
Singing for the Brain will launch tomorrow from 2-4pm and will then run weekly sessions on Thursday’s from 2-4pm, at Alexandra Palace.
Carers and people affected by dementia are encouraged to register for classes by, emailing Haringey@alzheimers.org.uk