Second indoor smoking fine for Edgware Road shisha caf�
For the second time in less than a year an Edgware Road shisha caf� has been found guilty of allowing people to illegally smoke in the basement.
Licensing officers from Westminster Council said they were initially denied entry into Palms Palace when they visited at 3.15am earlier this year.
When they finally gained access into the locked basement they did not witness smoking but found evidence including burning coals and hot shisha pipe heads.
Both Palms Palace Ltd and its manager Ismail Siza were charged with failing to prevent smoking in a smoke-free premises and found guilty at Westminster Magistrates Court on May 10.
The company will pay �2,000 in fines and costs, while Mr Siza was charged a total of �1,050.
You may also want to watch:
The caf� was found guilty of the same offence last July when 34 people were allowed to smoke shisha pipes in the basement. On that occasion the company was made to pay �1,114.
Westminster Council licensing chairman Cllr Audrey Lewis said: “We are seeing a disturbing trend of shisha caf�s which believe they can outwit the laws on health by holding the smoking equivalent of a lock-in.
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 5 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
- 6 Child artworks breathe life into Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak bridge
- 7 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 8 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 9 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 10 For sale: Edwardian home in East Finchley with south-facing garden
“Shisha smoking is more harmful than normal cigarette use and by crowding people into a basement, caf� owners are playing fast and loose with their health.
“We have already seen customers smoking shisha indoors being rushed to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning. The health of our residents is a key council priority and we will intervene with court action if necessary.”