Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead to be investigated over links with Jimmy Savile
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
The Royal Free Hospital is one of a further 19 hospitals nationwide to have their links with disgraced television presenter Jimmy Savile investigated, Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt said today.
In a written ministerial statement, Mr Hunt said he expected reports to be delivered by next June. The 19 hospitals will be investigated by their relevant health trusts but each investigation will be properly monitored.
The investigations are in addition to an initial 13 inquiries into hospitals which are believed to have been visited by the disgraced television presenter.
Savile is thought to have used his position to abuse vulnerable patients, many of them children.
The Royal Free in Pond Street, Hampstead, is one of a number of London hospitals featured in the new nationwide list of hospitals under investigation.
You may also want to watch:
A Royal Free spokesman said: “We have been given information from the Department of Health regarding Jimmy Savile, which we will now thoroughly investigate.
“We will ensure that, if appropriate, any lessons are learned for the future.”
- 1 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 2 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 3 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 4 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Koko to return with extra venues and community spaces for musicians
- 7 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 8 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 9 Former pupils launch creative fund to honour inspirational teacher
- 10 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill