Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead to be investigated over links with Jimmy Savile
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
The Royal Free Hospital is one of a further 19 hospitals nationwide to have their links with disgraced television presenter Jimmy Savile investigated, Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt said today.
In a written ministerial statement, Mr Hunt said he expected reports to be delivered by next June. The 19 hospitals will be investigated by their relevant health trusts but each investigation will be properly monitored.
The investigations are in addition to an initial 13 inquiries into hospitals which are believed to have been visited by the disgraced television presenter.
Savile is thought to have used his position to abuse vulnerable patients, many of them children.
The Royal Free in Pond Street, Hampstead, is one of a number of London hospitals featured in the new nationwide list of hospitals under investigation.
You may also want to watch:
A Royal Free spokesman said: “We have been given information from the Department of Health regarding Jimmy Savile, which we will now thoroughly investigate.
“We will ensure that, if appropriate, any lessons are learned for the future.”
- 1 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 2 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 3 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 4 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 5 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 6 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 7 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 8 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
- 9 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 10 Pressure mounts on Jose Mourinho Spurs as his former club Man United