Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead to be investigated over links with Jimmy Savile
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
The Royal Free Hospital is one of a further 19 hospitals nationwide to have their links with disgraced television presenter Jimmy Savile investigated, Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt said today.
In a written ministerial statement, Mr Hunt said he expected reports to be delivered by next June. The 19 hospitals will be investigated by their relevant health trusts but each investigation will be properly monitored.
The investigations are in addition to an initial 13 inquiries into hospitals which are believed to have been visited by the disgraced television presenter.
Savile is thought to have used his position to abuse vulnerable patients, many of them children.
The Royal Free in Pond Street, Hampstead, is one of a number of London hospitals featured in the new nationwide list of hospitals under investigation.
You may also want to watch:
A Royal Free spokesman said: “We have been given information from the Department of Health regarding Jimmy Savile, which we will now thoroughly investigate.
“We will ensure that, if appropriate, any lessons are learned for the future.”
- 1 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 2 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 3 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 4 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 5 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 6 Hampstead 'business hero' honoured for work with Soho Dairy street stall
- 7 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes
- 8 Suburb couple start canal concerts with afternoon tea
- 9 CQC says Royal Free 'comprehensively responded' to maternity issues
- 10 Convicted terrorist sent back to jail after bin lorry breach