Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead to be investigated over links with Jimmy Savile
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
The Royal Free Hospital is one of a further 19 hospitals nationwide to have their links with disgraced television presenter Jimmy Savile investigated, Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt said today.
In a written ministerial statement, Mr Hunt said he expected reports to be delivered by next June. The 19 hospitals will be investigated by their relevant health trusts but each investigation will be properly monitored.
The investigations are in addition to an initial 13 inquiries into hospitals which are believed to have been visited by the disgraced television presenter.
Savile is thought to have used his position to abuse vulnerable patients, many of them children.
The Royal Free in Pond Street, Hampstead, is one of a number of London hospitals featured in the new nationwide list of hospitals under investigation.
You may also want to watch:
A Royal Free spokesman said: “We have been given information from the Department of Health regarding Jimmy Savile, which we will now thoroughly investigate.
“We will ensure that, if appropriate, any lessons are learned for the future.”
- 1 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 2 Pictures: Fun for families as the snow arrives on Hampstead Heath
- 3 Covid, O2, police, village square, Notting Hill Genesis and the Suburb
- 4 Man detained after series of attacks on women in Hampstead
- 5 The snow is beautiful and fun - but during Covid we must stick to the rules
- 6 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta expecting another tough game against Southampton
- 7 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 8 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 9 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 10 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council