Royal Free Ebola patient to be given experimental new drug ZMapp
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
The first Briton to contract the deadly Ebola virus is being treated with experimental new drug ZMapp, doctors at the Royal Free have said.
William Pooley, 29, is receiving urgent treatment at the Infectious Diseases Unit at the hospital in Pond Street, after being flown back on a specialist RAF jet on Sunday.
Mr Pooley, a volunteer nurse, tested positive for Ebola after treating patients suffering from the virus at Kenema Government Hospital (KGH) in the south-east of Sierra Leone.
There is no cure for Ebola and outbreaks have a fatality rate of up to 90 per cent.
But the team at the Royal Free, who said they were working “round the clock”, managed to use their “clinical contacts” to obtain experimental new drug ZMapp.
You may also want to watch:
ZMapp has been dubbed by some as the “cure” after two aid US workers were successfully treated for Ebola after taking it.
Dr Michael Jacobs, consultant and clinical lead in infectious diseases at the hospital, said today: “We have had the opportunity to give him the ZMapp treatment that I am sure you are aware of.
- 1 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 2 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 3 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 4 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 5 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 6 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 7 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 Murder arrest after Primrose Hill woman dies from stab wounds
- 10 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
“It is an experimental medicine, we made that absolutely clear in our discussions with [William].”
Dr Jacobs added: “What has become apparent to us is that he is clearly a rather resilient and remarkable young man.”