Park Road leisure centre hosts free fitness classes for elderly health ambassadors
- Credit: Archant
Haringey’s health ambassadors have highlighted the importance of getting out, staying active and making new friends as the council launches its free fitness campaign aimed at over-65s.
The health ambassadors are the face of a campaign geared towards getting more older people into the keep-fit habit, with a host of free classes and facilities on offer at each of the borough’s main leisure centres - including Park Road.
Regular gym-goer Dot Collins, 75, from Hornsey, said: “I think it’s a good thing for when you retire because it gets you out and active.
“It motivates you to be active really and you meet other people. You can do it at your own pace - it’s up to you. You don’t have to be competitive.”
John Hadley, 72, from Noel Park, added: “If you come to the gym, even if its once a week, you can socialise and get to know different people, and you can start to get stronger.”
Haringey’s over-65 health ambassadors attend free gym sessions and fitness classes available at Park Road as well as Broadwater Farm or Tottenham Green leisure centres, Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm.
They can choose from various fitness classes including Zumba and Pilates, swim a few laps in the pool, or compose their own personal workout in the gym.
- 1 Fences and padlocks at Primrose Hill once again
- 2 Free beach returns to Finchley Road for the summer
- 3 Crouch End Festival: 'Back with a bang bigger than ever'
- 4 Alleged stalker sent '1,000 emails in a month’ to The Crown star Claire Foy
- 5 Royal Free denies allowing Tory MP to influence medical decision
- 6 George Michael's Highgate piano to be auctioned off
- 7 Fans pray for Bosco 'and his big stick' as he goes into surgery
- 8 Golders Green school hosts reunion ahead of closure
- 9 Family pay tribute to schoolgirl at West Hampstead bridge restoration
- 10 Covid admissions on the rise at north London hospitals
Cllr Jason Arthur, cabinet member for finance and health, said: “We are delighted to have the support of our health ambassadors to champion health and fitness in Haringey - they show how much of a difference regular exercise can make to your physical and emotional wellbeing.
“With free access to Haringey’s state-of-the-art leisure facilities on offer to all residents aged 65 and over, there’s never been a better time to get active in Haringey.”
Applicants simply need to register by providing proof of identity and residence in the borough.