Mother of three ‘devastated’ by Lyme disease after Hampstead Heath visit
- Credit: Archant
The managers of Hampstead Heath and other North London open spaces have warned visitors to be aware of the dangers of contracting Lyme disease from tick bites.
The warning comes after two women reported getting bitten by ticks carrying the disease during trips to the Heath.
Mother of three Lottie Khan, 39, spotted a red patch on her shin after taking her children to the Golders Green park for a picnic in May last year.
Two months later and after a series of misdiagnoses Mrs Khan was told she had caught the infection from a tick bite.
Her warning comes after former rugby international Matt Dawson revealed he underwent multiple heart operations after being infected with Lyme disease in a London park.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Khan, from Hampstead, collapsed after spotting the bite, causing doctors to fear she had suffered a stroke or developed multiple sclerosis (MS) or a brain tumour.
She has had to take a break from her career in HR and struggles to look after her three children on her own.
- 1 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 2 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 3 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 4 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 5 Richard Ratcliffe on hunger strike over government failure to secure Nazanin's release
- 6 Lockdown landscape artist changes job to paint full time
- 7 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 8 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 9 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
She said: “I lost my zest for life. It caused me so much anxiety. It was about surviving day by day. Some people get a slow decline, but in my case I collapsed very quickly,”
The weekend after the Brexit vote Mrs Khan was bed bound with flu-like symptoms.
Then a loss of balance, dizziness, joint pain and paralysis on her left side, led neurologists to carry out tests for a stroke, brain tumour or MS.
She was diagnosed with Lyme Disease only after scans ruled out the other conditions.
“I got worse before I got better,” Mrs Khan said. “I was unable to look after my children and became housebound. You lose your identity a little bit.
“I’m sure dementia is absolutely devastating, but I had similar feelings.”
Mrs Khan described an episode in King’s Cross when she was so disorientated, she believed she had lost her children even though they were safe at home.
During her illness Mrs Khan moved to West Yorkshire to get support from relatives.
“It’s the kind of illness that untreated can stop you in your life. I’m better but I still get memory loss and fatigue. If you don’t get it treated it can be really serious,” she said.
Mrs Khan posted her warning on the Facebook page Hampstead Mums.
Now another member of the group, Cara Lorrimer has revealed that she was also infected from a tick bite on Hampstead Heath.
Ms Lorrimer, 32, said: “I was at a summer solstice party on The Heath in the long grass on the meadow by the Ladies Pond.
“When I got home, I noticed a bite. It looked different and had red, broken skin. Alarm bells rang as I remembered a conversation about ticks.”
Ms Lorrimer, a child therapist from Kentish Town, contacted her GP when she suffered swollen glands and aching muscles and a red ring like a bulls eye started to form.
“My GP confirmed it looked suspicious and gave me antibiotics straight away,” she said.
Ms Lorrimer counts herself lucky as she believes media attention caused her GP to react.
“I wouldn’t want anyone to be put off spending time outdoors, just encourage people to check for unusual bites, to trust your intuition and push for antiobiotics if you think necessary.”
A spokesman from the City of London Corporation, which manages Hampstead Heath, said: “In line with advice from the Forestry Commission and the NHS, visitors to the Heath should wear appropriate clothing and cover up to avoid getting bitten by ticks.
“These can be found in grassy areas during the summer months and some can carry bacteria that can cause Lyme disease.
“Before departing from the Heath, visitors should inspect themselves and their dogs for any visible ticks and remove them carefully.
“If you find that you have been bitten and begin to develop any flu-like symptoms, please seek medical attention from your local GP as soon as possible,” he added.