Mornington Crescent Sports centre to be closed by Camden
A SPORTS centre in Camden Town that was refurbished by the council just one year ago, will be closed down.
Mornington Crescent sports centre’s new ‘stretch and tone’ area of the gym, along with the addition 43 new machines, was finished just twelve months ago – but now the centre will closed for good.
1,700 people use the Mornington Centre each week, although this is less that 10 percent of the number who use the Swiss Cottage leisure centre.
Camden council say that the centre would demand a �1.5 million of investment to keep it open which cannot be justified after the �25 million on Kentish Town sports centre.
A spokeswoman for Camden Council said: “Central government have reduced our grants by 26% over the next three years and we estimate a budget shortfall of nearly �100m over this period.
You may also want to watch:
“The centre is close to each of our three other leisure centres – Kentish Town sports centre and Talacre community sports centre are both less than a mile away and Swiss Cottage sports centre is just under two miles away. Between them these centres provide five pools, gyms, exercise studios and sports halls.
She continued: “It is just not cost effective to make this kind of investment in the current tough climate and we could use money from the disposal of the centre to invest in housing or our schools which are in need of funding.”
- 1 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
- 2 What do you think of the Regent’s Park and Primrose Hill bins?
- 3 Golders Green Hippodrome 'chooses love' at interfaith Covid vaccine drive
- 4 Ibiza comes to Kenwood with meditation and music event for 'healthy hedonists'
- 5 Driver tries to get car insured on phone when stopped by police - Porsche seized
- 6 St John's Wood High Street traders' fears after Harry's closure
- 7 Man stabbed to death at Brent Cross Shopping Centre
- 8 Planning application nears for Murphy's Yard redevelopment
- 9 Tree topples onto neighbour's car after South Hampstead winds
- 10 Mikel Arteta must trust Gabriel Martinelli against Villarreal