More expensive than a hotel room: Royal Free has highest hospital parking charges in UK
- Credit: Archant
The plight of patients daring to drive to the Royal Free Hospital was (at last) given the national attention it deserves this week.
The Sun newspaper outed the hospital in Pond Street, Hampstead, as a “national disgrace” on Monday after the tabloid found it had the highest hospital parking charges in the entire country.
Figures given to its deputy political editor by Tory MP Rob Halfon showed it towering above other hospitals.
An hour’s stay costs £3, four hours sets you back £12, and, if you’re unfortunate to have to stay there for the entire day, it’s £72.
That’s more than the £49 it would cost you to rent a room at the Premier Inn across the road for a night and benefit from its guest-only £14-a-day parking charge.
You may also want to watch:
But all this is not news to Heathman. The hospital’s parking policy has long angered its visitors and is one of the issues most regularly complained about.
No doubt hospital bosses will again justify the charges: or perhaps their place in The Sun may help them see the light.
- 1 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 2 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 3 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 4 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 5 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 6 Camden man charged with prostitution offences and sexual exploitation
- 7 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 8 Royal Mail delays in Hornsey 'could see Covid-19 vaccination letters missed'
- 9 Ice cream shop supporting freelancers opens in Primose Hill
- 10 One in ten people without symptoms Covid positive at Haringey centres
A statement from the Royal Free said: “The Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust has not changed its car parking rates since early 2003 and currently has no plans to increase them.
We charge a flat rate of £3 per hour for standard parking bays.
However, we offer a number of concessionary parking rates for some of our patient groups.”