More expensive than a hotel room: Royal Free has highest hospital parking charges in UK
- Credit: Archant
The plight of patients daring to drive to the Royal Free Hospital was (at last) given the national attention it deserves this week.
The Sun newspaper outed the hospital in Pond Street, Hampstead, as a “national disgrace” on Monday after the tabloid found it had the highest hospital parking charges in the entire country.
Figures given to its deputy political editor by Tory MP Rob Halfon showed it towering above other hospitals.
An hour’s stay costs £3, four hours sets you back £12, and, if you’re unfortunate to have to stay there for the entire day, it’s £72.
That’s more than the £49 it would cost you to rent a room at the Premier Inn across the road for a night and benefit from its guest-only £14-a-day parking charge.
You may also want to watch:
But all this is not news to Heathman. The hospital’s parking policy has long angered its visitors and is one of the issues most regularly complained about.
No doubt hospital bosses will again justify the charges: or perhaps their place in The Sun may help them see the light.
- 1 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 2 Burglar of £100k watches and jewellery haul jailed
- 3 Birthday Honours: Period Poverty campaigner Amika George becomes an MBE
- 4 Neighbours fight plan for 'out of character' flats above nursery
- 5 Capita review could see Barnet Council services return in-house
- 6 Food Bank Aid joins estate agent in fight to keep up with demand
- 7 Birthday Honours: Cllr Jonathan Simpson 'astonished' to be made MBE
- 8 Birthday Honours: Gongs for Arlene Phillips, Jonathan Pryce and Engelbert Humperdinck
- 9 5 days out in London where you can meet the animals
- 10 Police officer guilty of spying on woman in the shower
A statement from the Royal Free said: “The Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust has not changed its car parking rates since early 2003 and currently has no plans to increase them.
We charge a flat rate of £3 per hour for standard parking bays.
However, we offer a number of concessionary parking rates for some of our patient groups.”