‘Hundreds of nursing posts need to be filled in Camden and Haringey’ claim
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of nursing posts are vacant at the Royal Free and Whittington hospitals according to the Royal College of Nurses - which has called for action.
The RCN believes 10,000 nursing posts are vacant across London.
The new research has revealed that the amount of nursing vacancies increased to 17 per cent in 2015, highlighting the issue of the city’s nurse shortage.
The Royal Free Trust accounted for over 500 vacancies and the Whittington Trust had 159.
Both trusts revealed figures exceeding the national average of 10 per cent.
You may also want to watch:
The report has been disputed by the Department of Health which said it does not recognise the figures.
A DoH spokesperson said: “Official statistics show that Londoners have already benefitted from 3,400 additional nurses since 2010.”
- 1 Highgate mental illness charity sees 'desperation' rise during Covid year
- 2 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 3 Labour's Sadiq Khan wins London mayoral election
- 4 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 5 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 6 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 7 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
- 8 Arteta asks Arsenal to use 'pain' to punish West Brom
- 9 Toilets, the Ponds, Streatery, Nazanin and Palestine
- 10 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
The RCN, however, has suggested that trusts are struggling to find permanent members of staff as a result of training cuts and pay freezes.
RCN London regional director, Bernell Bussue, argued ongoing pay freezes have meant that nurses cannot afford to live and work in London.
He said: “The government urgently needs to give nursing staff a pay rise at a level which helps them settle in the capital for the long term before staffing shortages start to damage the quality of care London’s patients receive.
“London needs more nurses.”