Highgate Society launches informal chatline to tackle Covid isolation
- Credit: Archant
A voluntary organisation in Highgate has set up a helpline for anyone feeling lonely during the coronavirus crisis.
The Highgate Society chatline will welcome calls from anyone feeling isolated who would like an informal chat.
Users should leave a message on the line with their full name and contact details and a volunteer will call them back between 10am and midday on Mondays and Thursdays.
Chair of the society Elspeth Clements said: “What we became aware of is within the lockdown, everybody has been dependant on computers and IT for Zoom or Teams or Skype, and there are those who are unfamiliar with that or don’t have them, who are digitally excluded as we say.
“We are trying to reach those people, that’s important.”
You may also want to watch:
The Highgate Society, which launched the service on May 25, stressed it is not equipped to deal with emergency situations.
Call 020 8058 1112 to access the Highgate Society’s chatline.
- 1 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 2 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 3 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 4 Crouch End salesman who nursed mum runs marathon for Diabetes UK
- 5 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 'Survived the storm': West Hampstead's The Alliance Pub wins reader's poll
- 7 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
- 8 Discover Crouch End's very own cathedral
- 9 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath
- 10 Haringey Green Lanes flat fire sees 40 firefighters tackle blaze