Highgate public school girls’ fight against anorexia reaches Parliament
- Credit: Archant
Two public schoolgirls who launched a campaign to tackle an anorexia epidemic among teenagers have seen their battle reach parliament.
Sophia Parvisi Wayne’s and Amber Van Dam’s efforts to combat eating disorders by calling for awareness classes to become part of the school curriculum will be discussed with MPs in the coming weeks.
High profile supporters for the 16-year-old Highgate School pupils’ campaign, first made public by the Ham&High in January, include Labour’s ex-spin doctor Alastair Campbell.
After persuading their own school to host a Mental Health Awareness Week, the pair told the Ham&High they hoped to speak to around 500 schools across the country to see if they would also get involved - and have already spoken with secretary of state for education Michael Gove about the initiative.
They have been invited to Parliament to meet with Charles Walker MP - former chair of the Mental Health All-Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) - and James Morris MP, the APPG’s current chair.
You may also want to watch:
Sophia and Amber have seen first-hand the effects of anorexia and hope highlighting the issue in schools will make both pupils and teachers become more aware of how to deal with the issue.
The pair’s petition to the Department of Education calling for action has so far received more than 2,500 signatures.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 When Prince's Sign o' the Times shop opened in Camden
- 3 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 4 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 5 Temple Fortune's Cohens Jewellers celebrates turning 50 - a year late
- 6 New Belsize restaurant Cinder enjoys busy opening after lockdown delays
- 7 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 8 'Football is everything': Camden United on tackling knife crime and supporting community
- 9 'He was mesmerising': Barney Hoskyns on Prince, five years on
- 10 'Peace and Quiet' of Muswell Hill in band's new video
If you would like to support Sophia and Amber’s campaign, the petition can be found at http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/59244