Highgate public school girls’ fight against anorexia reaches Parliament
- Credit: Archant
Two public schoolgirls who launched a campaign to tackle an anorexia epidemic among teenagers have seen their battle reach parliament.
Sophia Parvisi Wayne’s and Amber Van Dam’s efforts to combat eating disorders by calling for awareness classes to become part of the school curriculum will be discussed with MPs in the coming weeks.
High profile supporters for the 16-year-old Highgate School pupils’ campaign, first made public by the Ham&High in January, include Labour’s ex-spin doctor Alastair Campbell.
After persuading their own school to host a Mental Health Awareness Week, the pair told the Ham&High they hoped to speak to around 500 schools across the country to see if they would also get involved - and have already spoken with secretary of state for education Michael Gove about the initiative.
They have been invited to Parliament to meet with Charles Walker MP - former chair of the Mental Health All-Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) - and James Morris MP, the APPG’s current chair.
You may also want to watch:
Sophia and Amber have seen first-hand the effects of anorexia and hope highlighting the issue in schools will make both pupils and teachers become more aware of how to deal with the issue.
The pair’s petition to the Department of Education calling for action has so far received more than 2,500 signatures.
- 1 Spoiler: Cycling up Haverstock Hill is hard work
- 2 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 3 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 4 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 5 Ken Clarke's anger at 'pointless' Infected Blood Inquiry questions
- 6 West Heath Road flats set for approval – despite affordable housing dispute
- 7 Suburb couple start canal concerts with afternoon tea
- 8 Winter closure of Royal Free kids A&E 'boosted Covid resilience' – NHS report
- 9 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 10 'Body blow': Crouch End NatWest bank to close
If you would like to support Sophia and Amber’s campaign, the petition can be found at http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/59244