Hampstead vet warns of lethal Parvovirus outbreak among dogs
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Vets have warned dog owners in Camden to be on alert after an outbreak of the highly contagious Parvovirus among pets.
The Hampstead Village Vet emergency hospital, in Belsize Park, has treated three cases of the potentially fatal virus in one week at the
A spokesman from the clinic, in Belsize Lane, warned: “We have hardly seen a case for the past 20 years, but recently we have started seeing the odd case - one a month. The incidence is increasing. Now three in one week.”
Parvovirus is one of the most lethal viruses affecting dogs and caused a worldwide epidemic in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s when it spread through the dog populations of Europe and the world.
The virus causes a haemorrhagic gastroenteriris and is often fatal.
You may also want to watch:
Village Vet is urging dog owners to get their pets vaccinated.
“With this level of virus circulating in north London, we urge all dog owners to make sure their pets are vaccinated against Parvo virus. We have special isolation areas within our hospitals for parvovirus patients,” said a spokesman.
- 1 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 2 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 5 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 6 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
- 7 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 8 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 9 Child artworks breathe life into Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak bridge
- 10 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
The highly contagious illness is spread from dog to dog by direct or indirect contact with their faeces. Canine Parvovirus is not infectious to humans, but humans can transfer it from one location to another.
Symptoms include: vomiting, diarrhea, gastro-intestinal upset, fever, lethargy, loss of appetite, and dehydration. In some cases, the virus may lead to death, especially with younger dogs like puppies.
* Has your dog been diagnosed with parvovirus. If so get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org or call our news desk on 0207 433 0123