Hampstead vet warns of lethal Parvovirus outbreak among dogs
PUBLISHED: 17:20 05 June 2017 | UPDATED: 17:58 05 June 2017
Vets have warned dog owners in Camden to be on alert after an outbreak of the highly contagious Parvovirus among pets.
The Hampstead Village Vet emergency hospital, in Belsize Park, has treated three cases of the potentially fatal virus in one week at the
A spokesman from the clinic, in Belsize Lane, warned: “We have hardly seen a case for the past 20 years, but recently we have started seeing the odd case - one a month. The incidence is increasing. Now three in one week.”
Parvovirus is one of the most lethal viruses affecting dogs and caused a worldwide epidemic in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s when it spread through the dog populations of Europe and the world.
The virus causes a haemorrhagic gastroenteriris and is often fatal.
Village Vet is urging dog owners to get their pets vaccinated.
“With this level of virus circulating in north London, we urge all dog owners to make sure their pets are vaccinated against Parvo virus. We have special isolation areas within our hospitals for parvovirus patients,” said a spokesman.
The highly contagious illness is spread from dog to dog by direct or indirect contact with their faeces. Canine Parvovirus is not infectious to humans, but humans can transfer it from one location to another.
Symptoms include: vomiting, diarrhea, gastro-intestinal upset, fever, lethargy, loss of appetite, and dehydration. In some cases, the virus may lead to death, especially with younger dogs like puppies.
* Has your dog been diagnosed with parvovirus. If so get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org or call our news desk on 0207 433 0123
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ham&High. Click the link in the orange box above for details.