Ex-leader of Islington Council is appointed chairman of Whittington Hospital
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
A former leader of Islington Council has been named as the new chairman of the Whittington Hospital.
Steve Hitchins, an ex-Liberal Democrat councillor who led the council between 2000 and 2006, is the former vice chair of Islington Primary Care Trust.
He is also a former chair of the Haringey and Islington Provider Community Services Board, the group which led to the formation of Whittington Health - the trust that runs the Whittington in Magdala Avenue, Highgate.
Mr Hitchins was chosen to succeed Joe Liddane, who stepped down in August to support his ageing parents in Ireland.
Commenting on his new role, Mr Hitchins said: “I am very pleased to be joining Whittington Health.
You may also want to watch:
“There are challenges ahead but I am excited about the prospect of working with the board, all of Whittington’s staff and our many partners to address these.
“Now, more than ever, the patient comes first and I will carry that with me in this job.”
- 1 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 2 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 3 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 4 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 5 Discovering 'rich' poetry of Hampstead Heath on guided tours
- 6 'Time for banks to share a Crouch End branch'
- 7 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 8 Motorcyclist in 'life-threatening' condition after collision with a car in Maida Vale
- 9 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 10 E-scooters set for Camden as council boss backs rental trial
In preparation for the London 2012 Olympic Games, Mr Hitchins was also a board member of the London Development Agency assembling the land for the Olympic sites.
Whittington Health chief executive Dr Yi Mien Koh said his “background and experience would be real assets to the trust”.
She said: “I look forward to working with Steve to lead the organisation forward towards foundation trust status.”
The appointment was confirmed by the NHS Trust Development Authority, which took over responsibility for the appointment of chairs and non-executive directors of NHS trusts in April.