Ebola nurse readmitted to Royal Free Hospital for treatment
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
The nurse who contracted Ebola whilst working in Sierra Leone is to be readmitted to the Royal Free Hospital for treatment.
Pauline Cafferkey, who was treated twice at the Royal Free last year, is being transported from Glasgow by aircraft after being admitted to Queen Elizabteth University Hospital.
The Royal Free Hospital released a statement saying: “We can confirm that Pauline Cafferkey is being transferred to the Royal Free Hospital due to a late complication from her previous infection by the Ebola virus.
“She will now be treated by the hospital’s infectious diseases team under nationally agreed guidelines.
“The Ebola virus can only be transmitted by direct contact with the blood or bodily fluids of an infected person while they are symptomatic so the risk to the general public remains low and the NHS has well established and practised infection control procedures in place.”
The Scottish nurse first contracted Ebola while working at the Save the Children treatment centre in Kerry Town, Sierra Leone.
She spent a month in isolation at the beginning of 2015 and was readmitted nine months later. At one point the hospital described her as being “critically ill”.
- 1 Alexandra Palace: 2 hospitalised in Red Bull's Soapbox Race
- 2 I want to philately! Freddie Mercury’s stamp collection goes on display
- 3 Five classic Rolling Stones moments at BST Hyde Park
- 4 In pictures: Wacky racers descend on Alexandra Palace for soapbox challenge
- 5 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 6 Camden watchmaker launches crowdfunding campaign
- 7 Bentley Motor blue plaque in North London 'prized off wall and stolen'
- 8 Gabriel Jesus solves Arsenal's striking conundrum
- 9 Start-up delivers home cooked meals to your door
- 10 Beauty and the Beast: Eyepopping heartwarming spectacle
In November she was transferred to Queen Elizabeth after the Royal Free declared she had made a full recovery and was no longer infectious.