Coronavirus: West Hampstead Tesco marks out social distancing zones on shopfloor
- Credit: Zoe Billingham
A West Hampstead Tesco has marked out social distancing measures on its shopfloor to protect customers from coronavirus.
Tesco Express in West End Lane is using black and yellow hazard tape to show customers how far apart they must stand while scouring the food-shy shelves.
According to government advice, people must stand two metres apart if out in public.
Zoe Billingham, a customer from Fortune Green, said: “The staff were charming - there was a gentleman meeting and greeting customers at the door with a smile and explaining how the social distancing should work.
“A good deal of effort had gone to marking up the floor with tape and printing signs to explain the initiative to customers.
You may also want to watch:
“Even though the shelves were a bit bare it felt like a safe and welcoming environment to be in.”
A Tesco spokesperson said: “To ensure we are doing everything possible to reduce the risk of infection for both our customers and colleagues, we will be introducing some distancing measures at the checkout and, to make it swifter, invite customers who can to pay by card.”
- 1 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 2 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 3 Keeping your distance: Hampstead joggers and creperie crowds
- 4 Every single critical care bed full at hospitals
- 5 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 6 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 7 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 8 Arteta 'very disappointed' by Arsenal exit
- 9 Obituary: Psychotherapist and author Dr Joseph Berke
- 10 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council