North London stitchers sew thousands of scrubs for NHS during crisis
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of stitchers from north and east London have put their needles to work sewing scrubs for NHS hospitals during the coronavirus pandemic.
A production line of 800 people from the Facebook group For the Love of Scrubs have got together to make protective clothing for hospitals including the Whittington, Royal Free, University College London and Homerton.
They have already completed orders for 1,000 scrubs, washable transportation bags and ear mask protectors, and have requests for about 2,400 more.
Although one of the orders was part-funded by the NHS’ Partners Procurement Service, the project mainly relies on a fundraising page which has raised £6,000.
However, one of the group coordinators Alison Jacobson said donations are not keeping up with demand.
You may also want to watch:
The 64-year-old retired mental health psychotherapist, who has lived in Muswell Hill for about 30 years, said: “The NHS is suffering, the staff as individuals are suffering and they need to be cared for as they are caring for us.
“As a population, we need to be caring for them and their health and safety.”
- 1 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 2 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 3 Hampstead 'business hero' honoured for work with Soho Dairy street stall
- 4 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 5 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes
- 6 CQC says Royal Free 'comprehensively responded' to maternity issues
- 7 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 8 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 9 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 10 Convicted terrorist sent back to jail after bin lorry breach
The group has also received donations of second-hand bedding, resulting in some Harry Potter- and Charlie Brown- themed scrubs being used by medical staff.
Donate to the fundraiser at www.gofundme.com/f/9vtg9x-scrubs-for-the-nhs or find out about volunteering at www.facebook.com/groups/1664878276997558/?ref=share