There With You: Hampstead dental charity sends toothbrushes to care homes and shelters to fight spread of coronavirus
- Credit: PA
A Hampstead dental charity is sending out toothbrushes and toothpaste to care homes and homeless shelters to help prevent the spread of coronavirus.
The Dental Wellness Trust in Elm Terrace launched the initiative this week as it urged everyone to sterilise their toothbrushes daily with hot water and salt because cold water would not always kill the virus.
It said people with symptoms of Covid-19 – a fever, dry cough or shortness of breath – should replace their toothbrush after a week if possible to help avoid further cross infection.
Anyone who has had coronavirus should also, if possible, replace their toothbrush often as the virus may continue to be shed in saliva.
Toothbrushes should be stored away from others, the charity added.
You may also want to watch:
Founder Dr Linda Greenwall said: “Toothbrushes can be covered in all sorts of germs from your mouth such as bacteria and viruses which will remain on its surface. That’s why daily cleaning or sterilising is essential and people are reminded not to share their toothbrush.”
For those wearing dentures, the advice is to scrub them with a nail brush and a soft soap and then soak them in water adding a teaspoon of vinegar (acetic acid or white vinegar) into the water.
- 1 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 2 Council denies liability for Church Row bollards car damage
- 3 UK's first no chicken nugget shop pops up in Camden Town
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 6 Nursery to open in former Highgate Barclays building
- 7 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 8 Meet the entrepreneur helping Londoners find the cool dining spots
- 9 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 10 'More than a shop': Storm in a Teacup in 100 nation-wide small businesses
Any London care homes and homeless shelters in need of toothbrush/paste packs can contact firstname.lastname@example.org.