Camden has seventh highest HIV rate in London
A new report has revealed that Camden has the seventh highest rate of HIV in all 32 London boroughs, as the council prepares to expand its role in public health.
Camden Council held a health scrutiny meeting last Wednesday (November 21) to debate how HIV and Aids patients in the borough will be affected when it takes over responsibility for some areas of public health in April 2013 under the coalition’s social care bill.
In Camden, the prevention and testing of HIV and Aids will fall with the local authority, while HIV and Aids treatment and care will remain with the NHS.
Concerns were raised that the split may detract from a streamlined, accessible service for patients.
A spokeswoman from the Terrence Higgins Trust, the largest HIV and Aids charity in the country, said the charity “did not see the division as particularly helpful”.
You may also want to watch:
But Penny Bevan, Camden interim director on the move of public health to local authority control, said the decision will ensure that the best treatment is received by all patients.
Councillors and health representatives outlined new trends in HIV/AIDS prevalence in the borough, particularly the increased number of men over 50 who have the virus. The report also states that in 2009, 45 per cent of cases of HIV in Camden were diagnosed late, which increases the risk of AIDS and death.-
- 1 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 2 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 3 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 4 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 5 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 6 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 7 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 8 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 9 Letters: The floods!
- 10 See inside the new superhero kids' clothing store with indoor bike ramps