Have your say now on a people-friendly plan
EVER wondered why another high density monstrosity goes up in your neighbourhood? Or why a ridiculously unpopular planning proposal gets approval by a council planning committee, or if it does get blocked due to public opposition, goes through on appeal?
EVER wondered why another high density monstrosity goes up in your neighbourhood? Or why a ridiculously unpopular planning proposal gets approval by a council planning committee, or if it does get blocked due to public opposition, goes through on appeal? It's because planning regulations and priorities have already been designated in the Local Development Framework (aka the UDP). And a new LDP for 2011 - 2026 is being put together right now.
So now is the chance to change the direction of the future development of Haringey. The current draft proposals of the 'core strategy' continue to promote increased development in Haringey Heartlands (Wood Green, Turnpike Lane and Green Lanes), Tottenham Hale and the Upper Lee Valley zones, which include some of the already most overpopulated, pressured, deprived and environmentally disastrous areas in the borough, and assumes a 15 per cent population increase for the whole borough. More new buildings, more concrete, more people, more cars, more noise, more alienation, until the whole borough will be bricked in.
Instead of more and more high density development and cramming more and more people into the same overstretched areas, why not focus on improving the quality our town centres, our living environment and quality of life for Haringey residents? We need a new plan that promotes people not buildings, which creates more attractive and desirable town centres and neighbourhoods and encourages a more sustainable population increase so that local services, housing, health services and communities can cope.
Now is the chance to have A New Plan for Haringey - a better, greener plan - one that prioritises human beings, our living environment and community well-being. Now is the chance to develop A People's Plan for Haringey.
You may also want to watch:
If you agree then why not contact your local ward councillor or the council team to have your say? Write to the Planning Policy Team 639 High Road, Tottenham, N17 8BD, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit their website, www.haringey.gov.uk/corestrategy
- 1 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 2 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 3 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 4 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 5 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 6 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 7 'Time for banks to share a Crouch End branch'
- 8 E-scooters set for Camden as council boss backs rental trial
- 9 Harry Kane: Boyhood club cult status or chase that silverware?
- 10 Motorcyclist in 'life-threatening' condition after collision with a car in Maida Vale
Noel Park, Wood Green, N22