Harry Redknapp on why he bought and sold Chimbonda
HARRY Redknapp insists he did not plan for Pascal Chimbonda to be a short-term signing after Spurs sold the defender for the second summer in a row. Having left Juande Ramos Lilywhites for Sunderland in July 2008, the French full-back was one of three
HARRY Redknapp insists he did not plan for Pascal Chimbonda to be a short-term signing after Spurs sold the defender for the second summer in a row.
Having left Juande Ramos' Lilywhites for Sunderland in July 2008, the French full-back was one of three former Spurs who remarkably returned to White Hart Lane in January, along with Jermain Defoe and Robbie Keane.
However, the 30-year-old made just five appearances under Redknapp, two of them as a substitute, convincing him to quit the Lane again and join Blackburn Rovers in a �2million switch.
"Did I plan for him to be a short-term signing? No not really," said the Spurs boss. "I brought him here because when he came we had injuries, and I just felt he could play a few positions, so we brought him back just to give us some cover really.
You may also want to watch:
"Alan Hutton was injured at the time - he was out for the season - so we had no real cover. He could play right-back, left-back and centre-half at a pinch, so that's why we bought him.
"The situation we were in, in a relegation battle, we needed to make sure we weren't going to be short of numbers. But then this year I've got [Vedran] Corluka, I've got Hutton fit and I've got Kyle Naughton as well, so he wasn't getting a game and he wanted to play.
- 1 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 2 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 3 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 4 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 5 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 6 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 7 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 8 Letters: The floods!
- 9 See inside the new superhero kids' clothing store with indoor bike ramps
- 10 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home