Haringey sex monster jailed
A PREDATORY paedophile, who subjected two young boys to periods of prolonged abuse, has been jailed for seven-and-a-half years. Wayne Courtney, now 29, was just 12 years old when he began assaulting his first victim. He assaulted the boy between 1993 and
A PREDATORY paedophile, who subjected two young boys to periods of prolonged abuse, has been jailed for seven-and-a-half years.
Wayne Courtney, now 29, was just 12 years old when he began assaulting his first victim. He assaulted the boy between 1993 and 1998 at addresses in Crouch Hill and Hackney.
Then in 2007, Courtney started abusing another boy at an address in Hornsey.
On Friday he was sentenced at Wood Green Crown Court to seven and a half years in jail after admitting eight counts of raping a boy under 16, four counts of raping a boy under 13 and one count of gross indecency with a boy under 16.
You may also want to watch:
Hywel Ebsworth, a lawyer for the Crown Prosecution Service, said: "Wayne Courtney is a predatory paedophile whose actions have impacted forever on the lives of his victims."
A police spokeswoman said they believe there may be other victims. Detective Inspector Noel McHugh of Haringey's child abuse investigation team said: "Wayne Courtney's conviction demonstrates our total commitment to all allegations of serious sexual assault no matter how long ago the offence was committed."
- 1 Cyclist dies after Crouch End car door crash, police appeal for witnesses
- 2 Man in hospital after stabbing in Crouch End
- 3 Builders finish first block in controversial Hornsey Town Hall development
- 4 Camden's £50k Covid-19 fall in house prices bucks north London trend
- 5 Amazon Fresh convenience store without tills opens in Chalk Farm
- 6 Covid-19 Delta variant cases rising in north London
- 7 Jimmy C obituary: Crouch End blues musician who 'brought so much love'
- 8 Hampstead Heath memorial to the band of brothers who fought fascism
- 9 Parliament Hill Lido Café on 'heartwarming' business life in Hampstead Heath
- 10 Rift over nursery plan for play area outside Hornsey block
After the sentencing, the family of the youngest victim said: "Our most precious child has been robbed by someone he trusted. We are so pleased that Wayne Courtney has been sent to prison. We would echo the thoughts of the police in giving victims of sexual crimes the confidence to report it."
Courtney initially denied the charges but pleaded guilty as the trial opened at Wood Green Crown Court. He was given an indeterminate jail term which means he will not be released unless the parole board decides he no longer poses a risk to the public.
Anyone with information about this case or any other child abuse case should contact Haringey's child abuse investigation team on 020-8345 2246.