Haringey advocacy group appeals for more volunteers to help older people
- Credit: Pam Isherwood
An advocacy group for older people in Haringey is appealing for more members and volunteers as the pandemic continues.
Committee member Anne Gray explained the Haringey Over 50s Forum is facing “a general emasculation of energies due to Covid-19 and lockdown,” while its services remain invaluable.
“There’s a horrendous mental health burden of this whole business, where people are isolated from their relatives,” she said, adding the committee has been calling its members since the beginning of lockdown to check their welfare.
It has also been selling digital tablets at a cheaper cost to its members, and Anne warned the reliance on online communication over the pandemic risks shutting out the older population, many of whom find it inaccessible.
The Forum is planning a project with Muswell Hill charity Generation Exchange in the new year, in which teenagers from the charity’s partner schools “will telephone older people and help them with the things they need to know about how to get a tablet going.”
You may also want to watch:
She said the community could also benefit from the older generation’s knowledge, as many are retired healthcare workers who “might be invaluable in passing on messages about vaccination,” while they “will have been through umpteen vaccinations in their lives”.
“I really think a number of brains need to be applied to this (and they) are in danger of being overlooked,” she said.
Find more information at https://ho50s.org.uk.
- 1 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 4 Lockdown landscape artist changes job to paint full time
- 5 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 6 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 7 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 8 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 9 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'