Haringey mayor visits Crouch End bakery Dunn’s to mark its 200th birthday
- Credit: Archant
Haringey’s new mayor visited Dunn’s bakery in Crouch End to mark its 200th birthday - and was presented with a cake by his former Highgate Wood classmate.
Cllr Adam Jogee was joined at the Broadway bakery on October 10 by Hornsey and Wood Green MP Catherine West and the mayoress of Haringey Alison Lawther.
When at school, the Haringey mayor was in the same class as Dunn’s boss and sixth-generation baker Lewis Freeman.
Cllr Jogee (Labour, Hornsey) told the Ham&High: “Dunn’s has become an institution in Crouch End and has played such a major role in serving the local community with freshly baked delights and giving so many young people their first job.
“With Haringey and the rest of the country facing a monumental challenge to overcome the coronavirus pandemic, it is wonderful to see our local businesses helping to raise community spirits - and that’s something we should all celebrate.”
Dunn’s boss Lewis said: “It was an honour to have the mayor come along and support a local business which has been here for 200 years and which provides employment and bread to local people.
“We’ve been through two World Wars and the Spanish Flu. We’ve experienced turbulent times before so we’re confident we’ll get through this tough period again.”
- 1 Man in his 30s stabbed to death
- 2 Hampstead pharmacy under investigation over extra charges for prescriptions
- 3 Motorcyclist injured in Highgate Hill collision
- 4 'Lianne La Havas gets big love from Koko crowd'
- 5 Single evokes lockdown 'fairytale' camp on Hampstead Heath
- 6 West Hampstead woman's kids' clothes success story
- 7 'The law isn't important to us': Car tyres deflated by activists in Camden
- 8 Beloved father choked to death on cauliflower after Highgate Care Home 'neglect'
- 9 Tributes paid to Belsize 'man of many talents' who co-founded Abacus school
- 10 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
Ms West said: “For the past 200 years Dunn’s has been at the heart of the Crouch End community, offering something for everyone.
“I was delighted to be there with the mayor of Haringey to pass on my congratulations and to wish all the team at Dunn’s a very happy birthday.”