Haringey left as the only London borough without A&E
Haringey was home to 216,510 people in 2001. By 2016, that number is set to rocket to 233,125. Haringey covers an area of more than 11 miles. It has two Parliamentary constituencies and 19 local government wards. But it doesn t have an Accident and Emerg
Haringey was home to 216,510 people in 2001. By 2016, that number is set to rocket to 233,125. Haringey covers an area of more than 11 miles. It has two Parliamentary constituencies and 19 local government wards.
But it doesn't have an Accident and Emergency (A&E) unit. The nearest A&Es are Homerton (Hackney), the North Mid (Enfield) and the Whittington (Islington). It fact, Haringey is the only London borough (out of 33!) not to have its own Accident and Emergency unit!
The last A&E unit was based at the Prince of Wales' Hospital in Tottenham, sadly closed over three decades ago. North Middlesex, the main A&E for Tottenham residents, is a very busy unit and that is set to get worse following the Government's bizarre decision to close the A&E at Chase Farm.
Sean Sullivan, the Conservative candidate for Tottenham, believes Haringey should have its very own A&E unit, and where better than at St. Ann's Hospital? St. Ann's was built as a district hospital, but services, departments and wards have been closing for years and only a few services remain. Many local people fear that the hospital will re-locate those remaining services to make way for flats.
You may also want to watch:
Sean wants St. Ann's to thrive again as a fully-functioning district hospital. Why should you have to travel miles to be treated for a fracture or, worse still, a heart attack?
Whatever political party you support, please support this campaign. Sean is working with local people and will work hard to get a local A&E unit for local people. This campaign is fully supported by Richard Merrin, the Conservative candidate for Hornsey and Wood Green.
- 1 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 2 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 3 Man detained after series of attacks on women in Hampstead
- 4 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 5 The snow is beautiful and fun - but during Covid we must stick to the rules
- 6 Pictures: Fun for families as the snow arrives on Hampstead Heath
- 7 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta expecting another tough game against Southampton
- 8 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 9 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 10 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
Email Sean at email@example.com if you support - or can help with - his campaign
Dr James Orpin, BA, MA
Conservative candidate for
Tottenham Green Ward