Haringey left as the only London borough without A&E
Haringey was home to 216,510 people in 2001. By 2016, that number is set to rocket to 233,125. Haringey covers an area of more than 11 miles. It has two Parliamentary constituencies and 19 local government wards. But it doesn t have an Accident and Emerg
Haringey was home to 216,510 people in 2001. By 2016, that number is set to rocket to 233,125. Haringey covers an area of more than 11 miles. It has two Parliamentary constituencies and 19 local government wards.
But it doesn't have an Accident and Emergency (A&E) unit. The nearest A&Es are Homerton (Hackney), the North Mid (Enfield) and the Whittington (Islington). It fact, Haringey is the only London borough (out of 33!) not to have its own Accident and Emergency unit!
The last A&E unit was based at the Prince of Wales' Hospital in Tottenham, sadly closed over three decades ago. North Middlesex, the main A&E for Tottenham residents, is a very busy unit and that is set to get worse following the Government's bizarre decision to close the A&E at Chase Farm.
Sean Sullivan, the Conservative candidate for Tottenham, believes Haringey should have its very own A&E unit, and where better than at St. Ann's Hospital? St. Ann's was built as a district hospital, but services, departments and wards have been closing for years and only a few services remain. Many local people fear that the hospital will re-locate those remaining services to make way for flats.
You may also want to watch:
Sean wants St. Ann's to thrive again as a fully-functioning district hospital. Why should you have to travel miles to be treated for a fracture or, worse still, a heart attack?
Whatever political party you support, please support this campaign. Sean is working with local people and will work hard to get a local A&E unit for local people. This campaign is fully supported by Richard Merrin, the Conservative candidate for Hornsey and Wood Green.
- 1 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 2 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 3 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 4 Crouch End salesman who nursed mum runs marathon for Diabetes UK
- 5 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 'Survived the storm': West Hampstead's The Alliance Pub wins reader's poll
- 7 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
- 8 Free festival to take over the streets of Camden
- 9 Haringey Green Lanes flat fire sees 40 firefighters tackle blaze
- 10 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath
Email Sean at email@example.com if you support - or can help with - his campaign
Dr James Orpin, BA, MA
Conservative candidate for
Tottenham Green Ward