Haringey first in UK to launch private sector lettings agency
- Credit: Getty Images/moodboard RF
Move 51? North is described as the first lettings agency in the country set up by a local authority to offer lettings and management services across the private rented sector.
The agency is now open for business, and Haringey Council says the aim is to give tenants a fairer deal and offer a transparent, affordable and reliable service to landlords.
They say the service will match responsible landlords with tenants who often face unwarranted rent hikes, exorbitant contract renewal fees and poor service from traditional lettings companies.
While other councils have used the private rented sector to house those on temporary accommodation waiting lists, Haringey say Move 51 North will be the first agency which tackles the problems faced by private tenants and landlords who aren’t on temporary accommodation lists.
Cllr Alan Strickland, cabinet member for housing and regeneration, said: “Private tenants in London are too often forgotten in the noisy debate about the housing market in our city.
You may also want to watch:
“Haringey is fast becoming one of London’s most popular places to live and work, and we know many people prefer the flexibility of the private rented sector – which is why it’s vital we do more to protect them from rogue landlords and unscrupulous lettings firms.
“I’m delighted to launch our new lettings agency today that will offer both renters and landlords a better deal and help stamp out rip-off fees and charges.”
- 1 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 4 Arsenal hit Gillingham for ten in FA Cup
- 5 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 6 Arteta: Arsenal have to win these games or face consequence
- 7 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 8 Hampstead Literary Society launched - and looking for exciting writers
- 9 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 10 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
The offices of Move 51? North are in Wood Green.