Haringey first in UK to launch private sector lettings agency
- Credit: Getty Images/moodboard RF
Move 51? North is described as the first lettings agency in the country set up by a local authority to offer lettings and management services across the private rented sector.
The agency is now open for business, and Haringey Council says the aim is to give tenants a fairer deal and offer a transparent, affordable and reliable service to landlords.
They say the service will match responsible landlords with tenants who often face unwarranted rent hikes, exorbitant contract renewal fees and poor service from traditional lettings companies.
While other councils have used the private rented sector to house those on temporary accommodation waiting lists, Haringey say Move 51 North will be the first agency which tackles the problems faced by private tenants and landlords who aren’t on temporary accommodation lists.
Cllr Alan Strickland, cabinet member for housing and regeneration, said: “Private tenants in London are too often forgotten in the noisy debate about the housing market in our city.
You may also want to watch:
“Haringey is fast becoming one of London’s most popular places to live and work, and we know many people prefer the flexibility of the private rented sector – which is why it’s vital we do more to protect them from rogue landlords and unscrupulous lettings firms.
“I’m delighted to launch our new lettings agency today that will offer both renters and landlords a better deal and help stamp out rip-off fees and charges.”
- 1 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 2 Arsenal 'showing maturity' says David Luiz
- 3 Homeschooling in lockdown: Top tips for a north London parent
- 4 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 5 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 6 Arsenal boss Arteta worried about player burnout
- 7 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 8 Ozil travels to Turkey as Arsenal exit looms
- 9 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 10 Letters: Local business, vaccination, Abacus and The Ponds
The offices of Move 51? North are in Wood Green.