One in ten people without symptoms Covid positive at Haringey centres
- Credit: Kirsty O'Connor/PA
Two new Covid-19 testing centres for people with no symptoms have opened in Haringey, with nearly one in 10 tests coming back positive.
This week free, rapid coronavirus tests became available at new centres at 48 Station Road, Wood Green and Tottenham Community Sports Centre.
Haringey Council reports that of the first 241 lateral flow tests on the first full day of opening, 20 (8.3%) were positive.
Haringey’s director of public health, Dr Will Maimaris, said: “For the people who have tested positive, it means staying indoors for a few days, but that action alone can save someone else’s life.
“If they are not spreading it because they are in isolation we are one small step to coming out of lockdown with our freedoms returned and our local businesses reopening.”
You may also want to watch:
Residents can visit the centres from midday to 7pm Tuesday to Friday, and 10am to 5pm on Saturdays.
- 1 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 2 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 3 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 4 Discovering 'rich' poetry of Hampstead Heath on guided tours
- 5 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 6 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 7 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 8 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 9 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 10 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home