One in ten people without symptoms Covid positive at Haringey centres
- Credit: Kirsty O'Connor/PA
Two new Covid-19 testing centres for people with no symptoms have opened in Haringey, with nearly one in 10 tests coming back positive.
This week free, rapid coronavirus tests became available at new centres at 48 Station Road, Wood Green and Tottenham Community Sports Centre.
Haringey Council reports that of the first 241 lateral flow tests on the first full day of opening, 20 (8.3%) were positive.
Haringey’s director of public health, Dr Will Maimaris, said: “For the people who have tested positive, it means staying indoors for a few days, but that action alone can save someone else’s life.
“If they are not spreading it because they are in isolation we are one small step to coming out of lockdown with our freedoms returned and our local businesses reopening.”
You may also want to watch:
Residents can visit the centres from midday to 7pm Tuesday to Friday, and 10am to 5pm on Saturdays.
- 1 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 2 Curious Crouch End: From Mrs Hitler to the 'The Hornsey Revolution'
- 3 'Decades of cycling infrastructure progress in just a year'
- 4 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 5 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 6 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 7 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 8 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 9 Baked to perfection: Dunns rakes in prizes at World Bread Awards
- 10 Christmas trees and lights set for Hampstead return