Hampstead UCS schoolboys to be first to attempt triathlon while playing xylophone
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Hampstead schoolboys and their friends are thought to be the first to ever attempt a triathlon in which they climb Snowdon while playing music on an African xylophone.
Six 16 and 17-year-olds will climb the highest mountain in Wales, before cycling for 16km and canoeing across a 6km-long lake on Tuesday – all while performing a specially composed piece of music on a marimba, a xylophone of African origin.
The boys – three of whom attend University College School in Frognal – have taken up the challenge to raise funds for three organisations which provide music lessons for underprivileged children.
UCS pupil Oliver Nelson, 16, a percussionist in the schools branch of the London Symphony Orchestra, said: “Hopefully up in Snowdonia the weather won’t be quite as hot!”
Oliver’s father, Martin Nelson, came up with the unusual idea after his son and three of his friends at UCS took part in a sponsored walk while playing a marimba last year to fund Oliver’s place on the London Symphony Orchestra’s summer tour.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Nelson then went a step further and organised the brutal triathlon to try to raise thousands for the London Symphony Orchestra, Camden Music Trust and Seaford Barn Theatre.
The boys will play a piece composed by musician William Carslake on a marimba, ukulele, and percussive slates.
- 1 Burglar of £100k watches and jewellery haul jailed
- 2 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 3 How many trees have been felled in the Parkland Walk?
- 4 Birthday Honours: Period Poverty campaigner Amika George becomes an MBE
- 5 Birthday Honours: Cllr Jonathan Simpson 'astonished' to be made MBE
- 6 Capita review could see Barnet Council services return in-house
- 7 Birthday Honours: Gongs for Arlene Phillips, Jonathan Pryce and Engelbert Humperdinck
- 8 5 days out in London where you can meet the animals
- 9 Food Bank Aid joins estate agent in fight to keep up with demand
- 10 Neighbours fight plan for 'out of character' flats above nursery
Donate online at https://mydonate.bt.com/charities/camdenmusictrust.