Hampstead UCS schoolboys to be first to attempt triathlon while playing xylophone
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Hampstead schoolboys and their friends are thought to be the first to ever attempt a triathlon in which they climb Snowdon while playing music on an African xylophone.
Six 16 and 17-year-olds will climb the highest mountain in Wales, before cycling for 16km and canoeing across a 6km-long lake on Tuesday – all while performing a specially composed piece of music on a marimba, a xylophone of African origin.
The boys – three of whom attend University College School in Frognal – have taken up the challenge to raise funds for three organisations which provide music lessons for underprivileged children.
UCS pupil Oliver Nelson, 16, a percussionist in the schools branch of the London Symphony Orchestra, said: “Hopefully up in Snowdonia the weather won’t be quite as hot!”
Oliver’s father, Martin Nelson, came up with the unusual idea after his son and three of his friends at UCS took part in a sponsored walk while playing a marimba last year to fund Oliver’s place on the London Symphony Orchestra’s summer tour.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Nelson then went a step further and organised the brutal triathlon to try to raise thousands for the London Symphony Orchestra, Camden Music Trust and Seaford Barn Theatre.
The boys will play a piece composed by musician William Carslake on a marimba, ukulele, and percussive slates.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 3 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 4 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 5 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 6 Prince Philip remembered in pictures: London Zoo visits and trips to the theatre
- 7 This destruction of a woodland site must be halted
- 8 Revealed: How council paid £23m for an office block valued at £10m
- 9 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 10 Camden men jailed for rape of teenager targeted by Tube station
Donate online at https://mydonate.bt.com/charities/camdenmusictrust.