Hampstead Theatre's proud role at heart of the community
DAVID REED (H&H letters November 19) expresses strong views about the planning process around the building of Hampstead Theatre and its impact on the original park area. I am not in a position to comment on these, having joined the theatre s board well a
DAVID REED (H&H letters November 19) expresses strong views about the planning process around the building of Hampstead Theatre and its impact on the original park area. I am not in a position to comment on these, having joined the theatre's board well after it was built.
In fact the 'new' theatre has now been open for seven years and plays an active role in the community around Swiss Cottage.
As well as opening our doors (and in the summer our decking) to everyone six days a week to enjoy our bar and cafe facilities, we provide a wide range of creative learning opportunities for young and old, both inside formal education and from the wider community.
Over the last year alone this has involved 8,270 mainly young people in activities that have included our heat & light young company, programmes of work with English Speakers of Other Languages, our Community Play and Festival, a schools festival at the theatre, participation in Camden Summer University and work with the Young At Art 60-plus scriptwriting group.
You may also want to watch:
This work sits alongside our year-round programme of theatre, which over the last year was seen by 66,000 people - many more than would have fitted into our previous building.
DAME JENNY ABRAMSKY
- 1 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 2 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 3 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 4 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 5 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 6 Camden man charged with prostitution offences and sexual exploitation
- 7 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 8 Royal Mail delays in Hornsey 'could see Covid-19 vaccination letters missed'
- 9 Ice cream shop supporting freelancers opens in Primose Hill
- 10 One in ten people without symptoms Covid positive at Haringey centres
Chair, Hampstead Theatre,
Eton Avenue, NW3