Hampstead Theatre's proud role at heart of the community
DAVID REED (H&H letters November 19) expresses strong views about the planning process around the building of Hampstead Theatre and its impact on the original park area. I am not in a position to comment on these, having joined the theatre s board well a
DAVID REED (H&H letters November 19) expresses strong views about the planning process around the building of Hampstead Theatre and its impact on the original park area. I am not in a position to comment on these, having joined the theatre's board well after it was built.
In fact the 'new' theatre has now been open for seven years and plays an active role in the community around Swiss Cottage.
As well as opening our doors (and in the summer our decking) to everyone six days a week to enjoy our bar and cafe facilities, we provide a wide range of creative learning opportunities for young and old, both inside formal education and from the wider community.
Over the last year alone this has involved 8,270 mainly young people in activities that have included our heat & light young company, programmes of work with English Speakers of Other Languages, our Community Play and Festival, a schools festival at the theatre, participation in Camden Summer University and work with the Young At Art 60-plus scriptwriting group.
This work sits alongside our year-round programme of theatre, which over the last year was seen by 66,000 people - many more than would have fitted into our previous building.
DAME JENNY ABRAMSKY
- 1 Man files complaint following 'unlawful arrest' by police officers
- 2 First Muslim lord mayor of Westminster announced
- 3 Golders Green school rated 'inadequate' for second time
- 4 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 5 'It's a lovely community': The Bull reopens under new management
- 6 Camden, Westminster raids as 14 arrested in sex trafficking warrants
- 7 Hampstead nursery slams church over impending eviction
- 8 Man accused of sexual assaults in Camden and Islington bailed
- 9 Covid-19: Hospital admissions and bed occupancy continue to fall
- 10 What is the rare 'monkeypox' being treated at the Royal Free?
Chair, Hampstead Theatre,
Eton Avenue, NW3