Hampstead Theatre's proud role at heart of the community
DAVID REED (H&H letters November 19) expresses strong views about the planning process around the building of Hampstead Theatre and its impact on the original park area. I am not in a position to comment on these, having joined the theatre s board well a
DAVID REED (H&H letters November 19) expresses strong views about the planning process around the building of Hampstead Theatre and its impact on the original park area. I am not in a position to comment on these, having joined the theatre's board well after it was built.
In fact the 'new' theatre has now been open for seven years and plays an active role in the community around Swiss Cottage.
As well as opening our doors (and in the summer our decking) to everyone six days a week to enjoy our bar and cafe facilities, we provide a wide range of creative learning opportunities for young and old, both inside formal education and from the wider community.
Over the last year alone this has involved 8,270 mainly young people in activities that have included our heat & light young company, programmes of work with English Speakers of Other Languages, our Community Play and Festival, a schools festival at the theatre, participation in Camden Summer University and work with the Young At Art 60-plus scriptwriting group.
You may also want to watch:
This work sits alongside our year-round programme of theatre, which over the last year was seen by 66,000 people - many more than would have fitted into our previous building.
DAME JENNY ABRAMSKY
- 1 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 2 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 3 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 4 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 5 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead
- 6 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 7 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 8 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 9 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 10 Heroic walker who raised thousands for charity dies aged 101
Chair, Hampstead Theatre,
Eton Avenue, NW3