Hampstead Theatre nominated for an ‘unprecedented’ seven Olivier Awards
- Credit: Archant
Staff at Hampstead Theatre are celebrating unprecedented success this week after being nominated for seven Olivier Awards.
Judges of the prestigious theatre awards ceremony recognised three shows at the playhouse in Eton Avenue, Swiss Cottage, giving it the second highest number of nominations for any producing theatre.
Nominations include for Best New Musical (Sunny Afternoon)pictured above; Best Actress (Imelda Staunton for Good People); Best Actor (John Dagleish for Sunny Afternoon); Best Actor in a Supporting Role in a Musical (George Maguire for Sunny Afternoon); Best Sound Design (Matt McKenzie for Sunny Afternoon); Outstanding Achievement in an Affiliate Theatre (Four Minutes Twelve Seconds); and Autograph Sound Award for Outstanding Achievement in Music (Ray Davies for Sunny Afternoon).
With just one of the National Theatre’s plays recognised, this year’s awards has seen more recognition for smaller venues.
Edward Hall, artistic director of Hampstead Theatre, said: “It is a recognition of the work the subsidised sector brings to the entertainment industries that Sunny Afternoon and Good People started at Hampstead and transferred to the West End, and Four Minutes Twelve Seconds is part of our programme of developing new talent.”
You may also want to watch:
The awards ceremony will take place on April 12.
- 1 Keepers read bedtime 'tails' from London Zoo during closure
- 2 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 3 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs
- 4 Kentish Town café fundraises to keep community spirit alive
- 5 Free Nazanin: Calls for clarity as West Hampstead mum's sentence draws to a close
- 6 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 7 Hampstead families aim to raise £50,000 to feed Royal Free medics
- 8 Maida Vale florist starts weekly subscription to brighten lockdown
- 9 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 10 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab