Hampstead street lighting victory
HAMPSTEAD residents are celebrating after winning approval for new street lighting to improve safety. More than 200 people in Goldhurst Terrace and Aberdare Gardens signed a petition calling for the lights to be improved. Now Camden Council has confirmed
HAMPSTEAD residents are celebrating after winning approval for new street lighting to improve safety.
More than 200 people in Goldhurst Terrace and Aberdare Gardens signed a petition calling for the lights to be improved.
Now Camden Council has confirmed new white lights will be in place in both roads by May.
Campaigner organiser and Goldhurst Terrace resident Tony Koutsoumbos said: "There is not a massive crimewave through here - but people I have spoken to do feel unsafe especially those with children.
You may also want to watch:
"Some people even come home early from work to walk their children home from school.
"I am very glad I started the petition and I was enthusiastic something would be done from the beginning. Everyone is obviously very pleased."
- 1 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 2 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 3 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 4 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 5 Royal Mail delays in Hornsey 'could see Covid-19 vaccination letters missed'
- 6 Mikel Arteta 'excited' by Arsenal's appointment of Richard Garlick
- 7 One in ten people without symptoms Covid positive at Haringey centres
- 8 Ice cream shop supporting freelancers opens in Primose Hill
- 9 Golders Green care home staff set for strike action
Sue Estermann, chairwoman of residents' group Crash, said: "For as long as I can remember, the issue of poor street lighting in the Gardens area has been raised repeatedly at both our meetings and Swiss Cottage safer neighbourhood meetings.
"I am glad the council is now prepared to give this matter serious attention and look forward to feeling safer in the near future as a result of improved lighting.