Hampstead street lighting victory
HAMPSTEAD residents are celebrating after winning approval for new street lighting to improve safety. More than 200 people in Goldhurst Terrace and Aberdare Gardens signed a petition calling for the lights to be improved. Now Camden Council has confirmed
HAMPSTEAD residents are celebrating after winning approval for new street lighting to improve safety.
More than 200 people in Goldhurst Terrace and Aberdare Gardens signed a petition calling for the lights to be improved.
Now Camden Council has confirmed new white lights will be in place in both roads by May.
Campaigner organiser and Goldhurst Terrace resident Tony Koutsoumbos said: "There is not a massive crimewave through here - but people I have spoken to do feel unsafe especially those with children.
"Some people even come home early from work to walk their children home from school.
"I am very glad I started the petition and I was enthusiastic something would be done from the beginning. Everyone is obviously very pleased."
- 1 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Haringey
- 2 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 3 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in north London
- 4 Crouch End pub ransacked and charity money stolen
- 5 Camden woman in running for Miss Universe Germany
- 6 Belsize Park phone box transformed into art gallery by prep school pupils
- 7 Man jailed for membership of banned neo-Nazi group National Action
- 8 Two more charged in connection with Olsi Kuka killing in Barnet
- 9 Royal beacon in Golders Hill shines light for Queen
- 10 Hampstead Town's first Labour councillor stands down weeks into office
Sue Estermann, chairwoman of residents' group Crash, said: "For as long as I can remember, the issue of poor street lighting in the Gardens area has been raised repeatedly at both our meetings and Swiss Cottage safer neighbourhood meetings.
"I am glad the council is now prepared to give this matter serious attention and look forward to feeling safer in the near future as a result of improved lighting.