Hampstead schoolgirls hold yoga day for Indian village
- Credit: Archant
They are raising money for children in rural India with a day of yoga, meditation and well-being.
The 18 South Hampstead High School students hope their Global Spirit Family Event will raise enough money to build two new classrooms and a playground at a Tamil Nadu school.
The primary school, which teaches more than 100 students, is completely full and cannot take on any more children.
The girls will travel to the school in April, where they will spend nine days volunteering.
Sophie Burton, 15, one of the girls organising the event, said she hoped the funds and trip would create opportunities for the children in the village.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re all so lucky to receive such great education that will let us do whatever we want. Hopefully we are going to make it possible for the children in Tamil Nadu get skilled jobs when they’re older, and help more people,” she said.
The girls are running the fundraiser with Ashok Tree Foundation, a charity that helps children from rural regions get an education, and Yoga Education in Schools.
- 1 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 2 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 3 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 4 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 5 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 6 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 7 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 8 Letters: The floods!
- 9 See inside the new superhero kids' clothing store with indoor bike ramps
- 10 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
At the event, visitors can participate in expert-led musical Vinyasa flow classes, gong meditation, traditional Pranayama breathing exercises and singing and drumming.
The Wild Food Cafe will serve raw and vegan food throughout the day and dinner in the evening.
Children can come too – there will be face painting, a storytelling corner, a chill-out area and colouring for children.
A yoga retreat in Puglia, Italy, a Stella McCartney jacket, a Celia Gould scarf, an upcycled flip-top desk by Mumbo Jumbo studio, and tickets to a Universal film premiere are up for grabs in the silent auction and raffle.
The event takes place at South Hampstead High School, Maresfield Gardens on Saturday, November 12.
Tickets are available on www.eventbrite.com under Global Spirit Family Day or Global Spirit Day of Yoga and Meditation.