Hampstead schoolgirls hold yoga day for Indian village
- Credit: Archant
They are raising money for children in rural India with a day of yoga, meditation and well-being.
The 18 South Hampstead High School students hope their Global Spirit Family Event will raise enough money to build two new classrooms and a playground at a Tamil Nadu school.
The primary school, which teaches more than 100 students, is completely full and cannot take on any more children.
The girls will travel to the school in April, where they will spend nine days volunteering.
Sophie Burton, 15, one of the girls organising the event, said she hoped the funds and trip would create opportunities for the children in the village.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re all so lucky to receive such great education that will let us do whatever we want. Hopefully we are going to make it possible for the children in Tamil Nadu get skilled jobs when they’re older, and help more people,” she said.
The girls are running the fundraiser with Ashok Tree Foundation, a charity that helps children from rural regions get an education, and Yoga Education in Schools.
- 1 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 2 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 3 Man, 26, stabbed in Camden 'fight'
- 4 David Amess murder: Met searches London addresses
- 5 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 6 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 7 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 8 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 9 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 10 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
At the event, visitors can participate in expert-led musical Vinyasa flow classes, gong meditation, traditional Pranayama breathing exercises and singing and drumming.
The Wild Food Cafe will serve raw and vegan food throughout the day and dinner in the evening.
Children can come too – there will be face painting, a storytelling corner, a chill-out area and colouring for children.
A yoga retreat in Puglia, Italy, a Stella McCartney jacket, a Celia Gould scarf, an upcycled flip-top desk by Mumbo Jumbo studio, and tickets to a Universal film premiere are up for grabs in the silent auction and raffle.
The event takes place at South Hampstead High School, Maresfield Gardens on Saturday, November 12.
Tickets are available on www.eventbrite.com under Global Spirit Family Day or Global Spirit Day of Yoga and Meditation.