Hampstead schoolgirl Macy, 7, walks 7 miles to raise cash for Age UK Camden
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
A young charity trekker has raised a bumper donation for Age UK Camden.
Seven-year-old Macy Merrens, of Wedderburn Road in Hampstead, took part in a sponsored walk across Hampstead Heath with fellow school pupils.
Macy managed to raise £1,503 through donations from family and friends – the largest individual amount raised by any pupil from Hampstead Hill School in Pond Street.
This is her third fundraiser having competed in Cancer Research’s Race for Life last year and another sponsored walk with her school.
Macy’s mother Natalie said: “She’s very determined. Last year she raised £1,400 for Starlight Children’s Foundation. I’m very proud.
You may also want to watch:
‘‘She’s a very generous girl – even if it’s with other people’s money!
“She’s very competitive when it comes to fundraising. Every time someone phones or calls in she asks them for a donation and was always asking how much has been raised.”
- 1 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 6 Tottenham boss Mourinho unsure on extent of Harry Kane's injury
- 7 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 8 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 9 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 10 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
Armed only with a bottle of water and a lollipop, Macy completed the walk with 260 other pupils last month.
Children aged four completed a shorter five-mile route, while the older pupils walked the full seven miles.
A total of £5,000 has been raised for Age UK Camden, which was the school’s chosen charity for this year’s event.
Gary Jones, chief executive of Age UK Camden, said: “We are extremely grateful to Macy and all of the children from Hampstead Hill School who have taken part in the sponsored walk.
“Macy has done amazingly well to raise so much money.”
He added the money will go towards Henderson Court Resource Centre in Hampstead.