Hampstead schoolgirl Macy, 7, walks 7 miles to raise cash for Age UK Camden
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
A young charity trekker has raised a bumper donation for Age UK Camden.
Seven-year-old Macy Merrens, of Wedderburn Road in Hampstead, took part in a sponsored walk across Hampstead Heath with fellow school pupils.
Macy managed to raise £1,503 through donations from family and friends – the largest individual amount raised by any pupil from Hampstead Hill School in Pond Street.
This is her third fundraiser having competed in Cancer Research’s Race for Life last year and another sponsored walk with her school.
Macy’s mother Natalie said: “She’s very determined. Last year she raised £1,400 for Starlight Children’s Foundation. I’m very proud.
You may also want to watch:
‘‘She’s a very generous girl – even if it’s with other people’s money!
“She’s very competitive when it comes to fundraising. Every time someone phones or calls in she asks them for a donation and was always asking how much has been raised.”
- 1 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 2 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 3 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 4 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 5 Modern murder mysteries set in the heart of Hampstead
- 6 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 7 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 8 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 9 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 10 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
Armed only with a bottle of water and a lollipop, Macy completed the walk with 260 other pupils last month.
Children aged four completed a shorter five-mile route, while the older pupils walked the full seven miles.
A total of £5,000 has been raised for Age UK Camden, which was the school’s chosen charity for this year’s event.
Gary Jones, chief executive of Age UK Camden, said: “We are extremely grateful to Macy and all of the children from Hampstead Hill School who have taken part in the sponsored walk.
“Macy has done amazingly well to raise so much money.”
He added the money will go towards Henderson Court Resource Centre in Hampstead.