Hampstead's Esther Rantzen to star in I'm a Celebrity
HAMPSTEAD resident Esther Rantzen has been confirmed as one of the contestants of the 2008 I'm a Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here. The veteran broadcaster will join Wag Carly Zucker and tennis champion Martina Navratilova among others for the hugely popular r
HAMPSTEAD resident Esther Rantzen has been confirmed as one of the contestants of the 2008 I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here.
The veteran broadcaster will join Wag Carly Zucker and tennis champion Martina Navratilova among others for the hugely popular reality television show, which kicks off on Sunday.
As she prepares to catch a plane to the Australian jungle, Ms Rantzen admitted her children think she is "barmy".
Former contestants on the primetime show - now in its eighth series - have endured stomach-churning tasks such as eating a goat's eyeballs and swimming with crocodiles.
You may also want to watch:
She said: "So why am I doing it? First and foremost it gives me the chance to help a very good charity with any money we raise.
"Secondly, I think it's a good idea at the age of 68 to push yourself - my guiding principle is, if not now, when? It's a challenge, it's an opportunity, and I'll remember it for the rest of my life.
- 1 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 2 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 3 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 4 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 5 'Time for banks to share a Crouch End branch'
- 6 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 7 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 8 E-scooters set for Camden as council boss backs rental trial
- 9 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 10 Harry Kane: Boyhood club cult status or chase that silverware?
"The toughest aspect will be missing the people I love, my friends and family. I ring them all four or five times a day every day. It will be very lonely without them."
Ms Rantzen has won critical acclaim during her 40-year career, particularly as presenter of That's Life.
I'm a Celebrity is on every night for on ITV1 starting on Sunday at 9pm.