Hampstead's Esther Rantzen to star in I'm a Celebrity
HAMPSTEAD resident Esther Rantzen has been confirmed as one of the contestants of the 2008 I'm a Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here. The veteran broadcaster will join Wag Carly Zucker and tennis champion Martina Navratilova among others for the hugely popular r
HAMPSTEAD resident Esther Rantzen has been confirmed as one of the contestants of the 2008 I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here.
The veteran broadcaster will join Wag Carly Zucker and tennis champion Martina Navratilova among others for the hugely popular reality television show, which kicks off on Sunday.
As she prepares to catch a plane to the Australian jungle, Ms Rantzen admitted her children think she is "barmy".
Former contestants on the primetime show - now in its eighth series - have endured stomach-churning tasks such as eating a goat's eyeballs and swimming with crocodiles.
You may also want to watch:
She said: "So why am I doing it? First and foremost it gives me the chance to help a very good charity with any money we raise.
"Secondly, I think it's a good idea at the age of 68 to push yourself - my guiding principle is, if not now, when? It's a challenge, it's an opportunity, and I'll remember it for the rest of my life.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 3 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 4 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 5 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 6 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 7 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 8 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
- 9 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
- 10 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
"The toughest aspect will be missing the people I love, my friends and family. I ring them all four or five times a day every day. It will be very lonely without them."
Ms Rantzen has won critical acclaim during her 40-year career, particularly as presenter of That's Life.
I'm a Celebrity is on every night for on ITV1 starting on Sunday at 9pm.