Hampstead residents lose Tesco battle
RESIDENTS have lost their battle against corporate giant Tesco last night as councillors approved a new Express store in South Hampstead. Despite almost 70 letters of objection, the planning application was approved and the store will replace the former Br
RESIDENTS have lost their battle against corporate giant Tesco last night as councillors approved a new Express store in South Hampstea.
Despite almost 70 letters of objection, the planning application was approved and the store will replace the former Britannia pub in Belsize Road.
"I am very disappointed with the decision because the council did not consider us one bit," said Belsize Road resident Philip Rosenfeld.
"We think it is disgusting, not one of them voted in our favour."
You may also want to watch:
The locals are angry at likely road problems with delivery lorries, noise and the possibility of increased crime around the cashpoint. Traders also fear they will be hit in the pocket.
The new store takes the tally of Tescos to 13 within a two-mile radius, including outlets in England's Lane, Heath Street and St John's Wood. Another one will soon open in West Hampstead as well.
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes set for approval by Camden Council – again
- 3 Call for answers after flood 'destroyed parents' love letters and vinyl records'
- 4 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 5 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 6 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 7 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
- 8 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 9 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 10 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
Swiss Cottage councillor Don Williams spoke on behalf of the residents at the Town Hall meeting. He said: "We have been following this since it started a year ago. Most of the people here are against this Tesco for reasons of litter, loading, lorries, traffic and the ATM attracting undesirables.
"I am quite disappointed with the result. Residents have been calling me regularly about this since the application was lodged. Some of the residents gave up a long time ago but some wanted to fight so it is disappointing now.