Hampstead residents lose Tesco battle
RESIDENTS have lost their battle against corporate giant Tesco last night as councillors approved a new Express store in South Hampstead. Despite almost 70 letters of objection, the planning application was approved and the store will replace the former Br
RESIDENTS have lost their battle against corporate giant Tesco last night as councillors approved a new Express store in South Hampstea.
Despite almost 70 letters of objection, the planning application was approved and the store will replace the former Britannia pub in Belsize Road.
"I am very disappointed with the decision because the council did not consider us one bit," said Belsize Road resident Philip Rosenfeld.
"We think it is disgusting, not one of them voted in our favour."
You may also want to watch:
The locals are angry at likely road problems with delivery lorries, noise and the possibility of increased crime around the cashpoint. Traders also fear they will be hit in the pocket.
The new store takes the tally of Tescos to 13 within a two-mile radius, including outlets in England's Lane, Heath Street and St John's Wood. Another one will soon open in West Hampstead as well.
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 3 Column: Major changes expected at Tottenham in the summer?
- 4 Optimism as Crouch End and Muswell Hill shops, bars and cafes reopen
- 5 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 6 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 7 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 8 Mary Feilding Guild: Warning of severe health impact on elderly residents
- 9 For sale: Edwardian home in East Finchley with south-facing garden
- 10 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
Swiss Cottage councillor Don Williams spoke on behalf of the residents at the Town Hall meeting. He said: "We have been following this since it started a year ago. Most of the people here are against this Tesco for reasons of litter, loading, lorries, traffic and the ATM attracting undesirables.
"I am quite disappointed with the result. Residents have been calling me regularly about this since the application was lodged. Some of the residents gave up a long time ago but some wanted to fight so it is disappointing now.